Re: obits

  • Mertie Beatty
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
      Hello Larry & Doreen:
      We had photos in those sticky pages and found that by using a hair dryer
      heat the pages, the photos came unstuck with no damage, only some curling.
      We
      put them in an old phone book to flatten. Maybe the hair dryer would work
      for
      your clippings.
      I have found that the best way to save the information on newspaper
      clippings
      is to photocopy them. If you wish to keep the originals, put them in acid
      free photo
      sleeves.
      Hope this helps.
      Mertie

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
        Hi Larry,

        If you happen to come across any McCool obits that don't belong to your
        family please let me know. I'm still searching for the catholic line.

        Thank you.

        Joanne Elford

        > Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
        > received en masse from the home of
        > Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs"
        from
        > newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
        > always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were
        placed
        > in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
        > These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the
        page
        > holding the pictures etc, in place.
        > I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them
        out
        > and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with
        care
        > and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
        > I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
        > environment. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Larry
        >

        > Larry & Doreen McCool
        > Calgary, AB Canada
        > Our new address is
        > mccoollh@...
        > Our website is now at
        > http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html

      • Nancy Carson
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
          Larry - this isn't a suggestion for storage, but I do have a good tip for
          removal from those types of albums that works like a charm. Use a hair dryer
          to heat up the page, or at least the area over the piece you're trying to
          remove, then lift the piece off still using the hairdryer. (Sometimes if you
          wait long enough a picture will start lifting off by itself.) My
          brother-in-law did this for some of their pictures which astounded me
          because I of course managed to rip some of my own pictures that I tried
          removing from those albums! I've been doing it his way ever since, even for
          newspaper clippings. It's also quite quick once you get the hang of it.
          Nancy Carson

          > Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
          > received en masse from the home of
          > Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs"
          from
          > newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
          > always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were
          placed
          > in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
          > These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the
          page
          > holding the pictures etc, in place.
          > I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them
          out
          > and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with
          care
          > and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
          > I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
          > environment. Any suggestions?
          >
          > Larry
          >

          > Larry & Doreen McCool
          > Calgary, AB Canada
          > Our new address is
          > mccoollh@...
          > Our website is now at
          > http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html

        • Lois Sparling
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
            Dear Larry

            I suggest you use a hair dryer and dental floss to remove the stuck
            newsprint. I have a product called Archival Mist which neutralizes
            highly acidic paper such as newsprint. It can be purchased at
            Scrapbookers' Paradise. You spray it on both sides and then store it in
            a clear plastic envelope/holder (also available at Scrapbookers'
            Paradise?) made from the acid free archival type plastic. Keep it in
            the dark unless you are actually looking at it. If you get the plastic
            envelopes for 3 ring binders, you can store many pages in this way and
            view them conveniently.

            Lois Sparling

            Larry McCool wrote:

            >Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
            >received en masse from the home of
            >Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs" from
            >newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
            >always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were placed
            >in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
            >These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the page
            >holding the pictures etc, in place.
            >I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them out
            >and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with care
            >and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
            >I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
            >environment. Any suggestions?
            >
            >Larry
            >

            >Larry & Doreen McCool
            >Calgary, AB Canada
            >Our new address is
            >mccoollh@...
            >Our website is now at
            >http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html
            >

            >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Peter and Yvonne Adams
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
              Hi,

              Is there an on-line source for recent obits (1975 - 2000) for the town of Brockville?

              Peter

              *****************************
              Peter Adams
              Calgary, Ab
            • Mary Arthur
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
                You don't say that you have checked anywhere else already, so I assume you have not emailed the local newspaper and asked them if they will look up for you?

                Their archives appear not to be online yet, so you could also ask if and when they will archive obits.

                On 5-Dec-05, at 12:30, Peter and Yvonne Adams wrote:

                Hi,

                Is there an on-line source for recent obits (1975 - 2000) for the town of Brockville?

                Peter

                Peter Adams
                Calgary, Ab

                Mary Arthur