obits

  • Larry McCool
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
      Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
      received en masse from the home of
      Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs" from
      newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
      always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were placed
      in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
      These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the page
      holding the pictures etc, in place.
      I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them out
      and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with care
      and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
      I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
      environment. Any suggestions?

      Larry

      Larry & Doreen McCool
      Calgary, AB Canada
      Our new address is
      mccoollh@...
      Our website is now at

    • Mertie Beatty
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
        Hello Larry & Doreen:
        We had photos in those sticky pages and found that by using a hair dryer
        heat the pages, the photos came unstuck with no damage, only some curling.
        We
        put them in an old phone book to flatten. Maybe the hair dryer would work
        for
        your clippings.
        I have found that the best way to save the information on newspaper
        clippings
        is to photocopy them. If you wish to keep the originals, put them in acid
        free photo
        sleeves.
        Hope this helps.
        Mertie

        > Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
        > received en masse from the home of
        > Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs"
        from
        > newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
        > always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were
        placed
        > in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
        > These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the
        page
        > holding the pictures etc, in place.
        > I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them
        out
        > and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with
        care
        > and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
        > I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
        > environment. Any suggestions?
        >
        > Larry
        >

        > Larry & Doreen McCool
        > Calgary, AB Canada
        > Our new address is
        > mccoollh@...
        > Our website is now at
        > http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html

      • Joanne Elford
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
          Hi Larry,

          If you happen to come across any McCool obits that don't belong to your
          family please let me know. I'm still searching for the catholic line.

          Thank you.

          Joanne Elford

          > Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
          > received en masse from the home of
          > Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs"
          from
          > newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
          > always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were
          placed
          > in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
          > These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the
          page
          > holding the pictures etc, in place.
          > I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them
          out
          > and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with
          care
          > and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
          > I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
          > environment. Any suggestions?
          >
          > Larry
          >

          > Larry & Doreen McCool
          > Calgary, AB Canada
          > Our new address is
          > mccoollh@...
          > Our website is now at
          > http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html

        • Nancy Carson
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
            Larry - this isn't a suggestion for storage, but I do have a good tip for
            removal from those types of albums that works like a charm. Use a hair dryer
            to heat up the page, or at least the area over the piece you're trying to
            remove, then lift the piece off still using the hairdryer. (Sometimes if you
            wait long enough a picture will start lifting off by itself.) My
            brother-in-law did this for some of their pictures which astounded me
            because I of course managed to rip some of my own pictures that I tried
            removing from those albums! I've been doing it his way ever since, even for
            newspaper clippings. It's also quite quick once you get the hang of it.
            Nancy Carson

            > Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
            > received en masse from the home of
            > Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs"
            from
            > newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
            > always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were
            placed
            > in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
            > These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the
            page
            > holding the pictures etc, in place.
            > I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them
            out
            > and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with
            care
            > and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
            > I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
            > environment. Any suggestions?
            >
            > Larry
            >

            > Larry & Doreen McCool
            > Calgary, AB Canada
            > Our new address is
            > mccoollh@...
            > Our website is now at
            > http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html

          • Lois Sparling
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19, 2004
              Dear Larry

              I suggest you use a hair dryer and dental floss to remove the stuck
              newsprint. I have a product called Archival Mist which neutralizes
              highly acidic paper such as newsprint. It can be purchased at
              Scrapbookers' Paradise. You spray it on both sides and then store it in
              a clear plastic envelope/holder (also available at Scrapbookers'
              Paradise?) made from the acid free archival type plastic. Keep it in
              the dark unless you are actually looking at it. If you get the plastic
              envelopes for 3 ring binders, you can store many pages in this way and
              view them conveniently.

              Lois Sparling

              Larry McCool wrote:

              >Recently Doreen and I started looking through some obituaries that we had
              >received en masse from the home of
              >Doreen's parents and the same from mine. These are newspaper "cut-outs" from
              >newspapers. Some of them go back fifty years and more. Of course there is
              >always a problem when something like this turns up. The notices were placed
              >in photo albums that, at the time I guess, were the right type of storage.
              >These are the sticky type pages with the clear cover that sticks to the page
              >holding the pictures etc, in place.
              >I have noted that the items are changing color and decided to take them out
              >and store them differently. Some have been difficult to remove but with care
              >and a set of tweezers they are coming out OK but are very fragile.
              >I would like to display these along with group sheets in a "no glue"
              >environment. Any suggestions?
              >
              >Larry
              >

              >Larry & Doreen McCool
              >Calgary, AB Canada
              >Our new address is
              >mccoollh@...
              >Our website is now at
              >http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html
              >

              >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Peter and Yvonne Adams
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
                Hi,

                Is there an on-line source for recent obits (1975 - 2000) for the town of Brockville?

                Peter

                *****************************
                Peter Adams
                Calgary, Ab
              • Mary Arthur
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 5, 2005
                  You don't say that you have checked anywhere else already, so I assume you have not emailed the local newspaper and asked them if they will look up for you?

                  Their archives appear not to be online yet, so you could also ask if and when they will archive obits.

                  On 5-Dec-05, at 12:30, Peter and Yvonne Adams wrote:

                  Hi,

                  Is there an on-line source for recent obits (1975 - 2000) for the town of Brockville?

                  Peter

                  Peter Adams
                  Calgary, Ab

                  Mary Arthur