Re: Burials

  • fmonk
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
      The custom today for a double plot is not to bury side by side but to bury
      one above the other. Fred
      > What is the convention/tradition/custom for which side in a double plot
      the
      > male is buried, and which side the female is buried?

    • Bob McNarry
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
        lynda1alderman@... wrote:

        >What is the convention/tradition/custom for which side in a double plot the
        >male is buried, and which side the female is buried?
        >

        >Lynda.

        In my burial plot mywife is buried in the right hand plot and I will be
        buried in the left hand plot. I do not know if this is
        traditionalBob McNarry. I let the firm who made the plaque make that
        decision. I hope this helps.

        >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Helen Backhouse
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
          I know of one couple that are buried on the side that they slept in their
          double bed. The man, who died last, said that as that had been good for so
          many years why change it?

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
            I have looked at pictures of headstones taken of various of my ancestors
            and all have the husband on the left and the wife on the right (when you are
            facing the headstone). These pictures were taken at three Edmonton
            cemeteries and one rural one. In another instance at a rural cemetery, the
            wife was on the left and husband on the right. At Edenbrooke here in
            Calgary if you pre-order your marker, they put husband on the left and wife
            on the right. Does this help?

          • lynda1alderman@telus.net
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
              First I hear one on top of the other, now it's who slept where.....verrrrrry
              interesting!

              Someone else asked why I wanted to know, was I planning an exhumation!

              Love dist-gen replies!

              Lynda