Burials

  • lynda1alderman@telus.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
      What is the convention/tradition/custom for which side in a double plot the
      male is buried, and which side the female is buried?

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • fmonk
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
        The custom today for a double plot is not to bury side by side but to bury
        one above the other. Fred
        > What is the convention/tradition/custom for which side in a double plot
        the
        > male is buried, and which side the female is buried?

      • Bob McNarry
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
          lynda1alderman@... wrote:

          >What is the convention/tradition/custom for which side in a double plot the
          >male is buried, and which side the female is buried?
          >

          >Lynda.

          In my burial plot mywife is buried in the right hand plot and I will be
          buried in the left hand plot. I do not know if this is
          traditionalBob McNarry. I let the firm who made the plaque make that
          decision. I hope this helps.

          >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Helen Backhouse
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
            I know of one couple that are buried on the side that they slept in their
            double bed. The man, who died last, said that as that had been good for so
            many years why change it?

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
              I have looked at pictures of headstones taken of various of my ancestors
              and all have the husband on the left and the wife on the right (when you are
              facing the headstone). These pictures were taken at three Edmonton
              cemeteries and one rural one. In another instance at a rural cemetery, the
              wife was on the left and husband on the right. At Edenbrooke here in
              Calgary if you pre-order your marker, they put husband on the left and wife
              on the right. Does this help?

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 9, 2004
                First I hear one on top of the other, now it's who slept where.....verrrrrry
                interesting!

                Someone else asked why I wanted to know, was I planning an exhumation!

                Love dist-gen replies!

                Lynda