FAMILY HISTORY PUBLISHING

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2004
      Following is an interesting response to an official query made to our own
      Alberta government.

      I'm sure others have been wondering about the impact of PIPA legislation on
      our work:

      ---------------------
      >The Alberta Personal Information Protection Act does not apply if you are
      collecting, using or disclosing personal information for home or family
      purposes such as when an individual is compiling and publishing their own
      family history for their personal use.

      >Eileen Hendy, Access and Privacy Advisor
      >Private Sector Privacy
      >Access and Privacy Branch
      >Alberta Government Services
      >3rd Floor, Commerce Place
      >10155 - 102 Street
      >Edmonton, Alberta T5J 4L4
      >Private Sector Privacy Phone: (780) 644-7472
      >Private Sector Privacy Email: pspinfo@... <mailto:pspinfo@...>
      >Fax: (780) 427-1120
      >Private Sector Privacy Website: http://www.psp.gov.ab.ca
      -----------------------

      The inquirer has requested privacy regarding his identity.

      Now my concern is how they can perceive that "publishing" can be
      accomplished while doing the work for one's "personal use". By definition,
      publishing indicates that materials are to be distributed widely - generally
      for sale.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel
      judith@...

      and

      1906@...
      1906 Census Transcription Centre
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/
      Alberta Family Histories Society

      queries@...
      Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
      http://www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/

      Mennonite Genealogy Data Index
      http://www.mennonites.ca

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Gordon Lane
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 2004
        Going through some old mail and came across this.

        When I asked about publishing they told me that as long as the intent was
        not to make a profit and only to recoup ones costs and the market was
        primarily family and not the public at large then it was considered
        personal.

        A rider on the conversation was that if a challenge was made then the
        Commissioner would make a determination on each case which would then become
        guidelines for future challenges.

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Chairman