RE: database transfer

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
      Alan - you should be able to do a updated installation of Excel so that it recognizes MS Works files.

      You're right that MS is very odd in not automatically recognizing it's own company's fileformats.  Even odder - why would they develop competing spreadsheet softwares?

      Backward incompatibility also plagues MS Works files, but you have a new computer, so you should be fine.\

      Just pop in your MS Office CD, and upon prompts, choose to update only Excel and only with regard to it's ability to recognize MS Works files.

      As it happens, I have a cc of MS Works as well, but cannot offer to 'translate' your file, because my cc of Works is a couple of years old and is unlikely to be able to read a file developed in the newest versions.

      Tis hard not to be paranoid about the Microsoft intentions....

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel
       judith@...

      and

      1906@...
      1906 Census Transcription Centre
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2004
        Alan,
            It's been my experience that no MSWorks files open in any other Microsoft program. However if you save the MSWorks files as .csv it should then open in most other programs.