Re: Family Papers Collection

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 6, 2004
      This afternoon, a special meeting of the AFHS membership was held to discuss
      this project. For those of you unable to attend the following is a brief
      outline of the FPC project.

      The National Genealogical Society, in an effort to preserve historically
      valuable documents that remain in the possession of private parties, has
      embarked on a project that will see a team of imaging experts come to
      Calgary and diigitize "one of a kind" historically and genealogically
      precious documents. This team will be in Calgary in October of this year,
      and will participate in Family Roots 2004. They will be presenting a
      lecture on digitizing, using both scanning and digital photography at this
      time. During their stay in Calgary, the duration of which will depend on the
      volume of items to be digitized, they will diigitize documents that any
      participants wish to have digitized. The documents themselves will remain
      with the participants; NGS will retain a digitized copy, and will present
      the participant with a CD containing the digitized documents.

      What NGS is looking for?

      NGS is mainly looking for one of a kind, never before published, documents.
      We want to get these items out of the closet, and available for others with
      genealogical interest. We also want to protect these items, for future
      generations. The National Genealogical Society has been around for more than
      a hundred years, and expects to be here for many more centuries.

      Documents:

      These could be original certificates, such as military records, birth
      certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates, baptismal records,
      letters with genealogical content, original manuscripts with genealogical
      content, handwritten or typed family histories, original wills,

      Photos:

      Photographs of people born before 1920(?). This does not mean that all the
      people in a picture have to have been born before 1920, only that unless
      they were born before 1920, they will not be included in online thumbnails,
      however permission must be obtained for those born after 1920, or they must
      be deceased. At least one person in each photograph must be identified. Also
      certain places and objects, with historical or genealogical content, may be
      included. For example Uncle Henry's buckskin shirt and his rifle could be
      included, if information about Uncle Henry is included.

      How will this material be handled, and secured?

      The digitizing team will receive the documents, each page of each document
      will be assigned serial number. The documents will be placd in protective
      jackets, and stored in a securely locked container until they are ready to
      be digitized. The participant will receive a list of the serial numbers of
      their documents, and will use this to retrieve the documents after
      digitizing. After they are digitized, the documents along with a CD of the
      digitized information will be re-placed in the locked container. Documents
      will be digitized in a FIFO (first in first out) manner. Documents received
      on one day will in most cases be returned on the same, or the following day.
      The stay of the team will be extended if necessary to complete the
      digitizing process. If a participant is unable to leave their documents for
      any reason an appointment can be scheduled.

      What will happen to the NGS's copy of the digitized documents?

      NGS volunteers will extract and catalogue all of the genealogically
      pertinent information. This information will then placed both on the
      Internet, and in a secure location. Using the Internet, genealogists and
      historians, can search for this information, and then look at thumbnail
      pictures and related information. Anyone wishing to have a digital copy of
      the digitized document, or photograph, can order it from NGS for a nominal
      fee.

      What about the other copy of the information?

      The CD that is produced containing the digitized documents, will be placed
      in an NGS jacket, and returned to the locked container. When the participant
      returns, and provides the list with all the serial numbers, the documents
      and the CD will be given to them. At this time, they can purchase additional
      copies of the CD for $5.00 per copy. The documents will be stored on the CD
      in two formats, Windows .BMP (Bitmap), and .JPG (compressed). The .JPG
      files can be viewed using most Internet browsers; the .BMP files can be
      viewed in most graphic editing programs.

      What does all this cost?

      Nothing. it costs neither the Host Organization nor the participants
      anything. This is a free service of NGS.

      Where will the digitizing take place?

      Currently, we expect the team will be making use of our library facilities.
      Help manning the digitizing area by checking in and returning documents
      would also be greatly appreciated. This can be a great learning experience
      for anyone interested in scanning, and/or digital photography. The
      presentation is intended for anyone interested in digital photography or
      scanning. There will be several digital cameras, covering many of the
      styles, features and sizes available. There will be new types of scanners,
      and cheap to not so cheap scanners.

      The team is currently working in Dallas. Anyone interested in the
      procedures being used there can check out www.johnwylie.com On this web
      site there are also several articles by one member of the team related to
      the project.

      Any questions pertaining to this project can be directed to me at
      mumford@...

      Cheers

      Bill Mumford

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Bill Mumford
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
        the list Address

        In about eight weeks the Family Papers Collection digitizing team from the
        National Genealogical Society will arrive in Calgary. If you are planning
        to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity to have your priceless
        collection of family documents, photographs, etc recorded on a CD at no cost
        to you, now is the time to start preparing them for digitization. In order
        to expedite matters every item to be digitized must be listed on a special
        form prior to making your appointment. These forms plus more information on
        the project are now available on the local Family Papers Collection website.
        A link to this web site is available from the AFHS home page at
        www.afhs.ab.ca , from the Family Roots 2004 web site when it becomes
        available, or you can log on directly at www.mumford.ca/fpc/ .

        The team will be in Calgary for a minimum of two weeks starting on October
        4th. They will be presenting talks at the October 4th meeting of the AFHS,
        at the Genealogical Computer Group (a SIG of the AFHS) meeting on October
        9th and at Family Roots 2004 on October 16th. The October 4th talk will be
        on the Family Papers Collection, the October 9th talk will be more technical
        and focus on the use of cameras and scanners for genealogy. The Family
        Roots talk is part of the seminar program and will be on the use of digital
        cameras and scanners but is structured for the non-techie.

        This visit by the FPC team is a joint presentation by the AFHS and the NGS.
        Volunteers are needed to assist in the actual digitization work, primarily
        in the non technical aspect of the process however volunteers familiar with
        using digital cameras and scanners are most welcome. If you can spare a few
        hours during the day and wish to volunteer or if you have any questions
        concerning the Family Papers Collection, please contact Bill Mumford at
        933-2881 (if no answer leave your phone number on the machine) or by email
        at mumford@...

      • Bill Mumford
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
          the list Address

          In just two short weeks the National Genealogical Society's Family Papers
          Collection team will arrive in Calgary. This is a wonderful opportunity to
          have your family papers and photos recorded in digital form at no cost to
          you. For full details log on to www.afhs.ab.ca or www.family-roots.ca and
          look for the link to the Family Papers Collection.

          The NGS team of Dennis and Carla Ridenour will discuss the Family Papers
          Collection at the next AFHS regular meeting, (October 4th 7:15 PM at the
          Christian Reformed Church, 14a Street and 37th Ave S.W.). They will make
          another presentation on the selection and use of digital cameras at the
          Computer SIG meeting the following Saturday (October 9th, 10:00AM in the
          lounge of the LDS Stake House at 17th Ave and 19a Street S.W) They complete
          the hat trick with a third talk at Family Roots 2004 on "Using Your Camera
          as a Research Assistant". (October 16th, Carriage House Inn, 90th Ave and
          McLeod Trail S.W.) Both of the Ridenours have been featured speakers at
          numerous national genealogical seminars. Dennis recently retired from
          Lucent Technologies and is an expert on the use of digital cameras and the
          creation of multimedia presentations. His wife, Carla, is the former editor
          of the NGS Newsmagazine and currently edits the NGS on line newsletter,
          UpFront. Both are expert genealogists of long standing and have created a
          number of very imaginative multimedia presentations of family data. (Some
          of you might remember "I'm My Own Grandpa" (The Mumford Family Tree) from
          Family Roots 2002.)

          The team has visited Dallas and Oklahoma City in the last few months and
          recorded over 70, 000 digital images of a variety of family papers, photos,
          etc. Calgary is their third stop. The selection of our city was no
          accident. The AFHS has a reputation as a very active group and was
          presented an award for technical excellence in 2000 by the New England
          Historical and Genealogical Society. I'm sure their choice will be
          justified.

          Any questions can be addressed to Bill Mumford at mumford@... or
          phone 933-2881 (leave a message and your phone number on the machine if no
          answer. This is a local call from Calgary.)

        • fredastewart
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 19, 2004
            the list Address

            Hi - just checked my 'book' and I am booked to the digitization work on
            October 7th, Thursday at 10:00 am.
            Freda Stewart
            > In just two short weeks the National Genealogical Society's Family Papers
            > Collection team will arrive in Calgary. This is a wonderful opportunity
            > have your family papers and photos recorded in digital form at no cost to
            > you. For full details log on to www.afhs.ab.ca or www.family-roots.ca and
            > look for the link to the Family Papers Collection.
            >
            > The NGS team of Dennis and Carla Ridenour will discuss the Family Papers
            > Collection at the next AFHS regular meeting, (October 4th 7:15 PM at the
            > Christian Reformed Church, 14a Street and 37th Ave S.W.). They will make
            > another presentation on the selection and use of digital cameras at the
            > Computer SIG meeting the following Saturday (October 9th, 10:00AM in the
            > lounge of the LDS Stake House at 17th Ave and 19a Street S.W) They
            > complete
            > the hat trick with a third talk at Family Roots 2004 on "Using Your Camera
            > as a Research Assistant". (October 16th, Carriage House Inn, 90th Ave and
            > McLeod Trail S.W.) Both of the Ridenours have been featured speakers at
            > numerous national genealogical seminars. Dennis recently retired from
            > Lucent Technologies and is an expert on the use of digital cameras and the
            > creation of multimedia presentations. His wife, Carla, is the former
            > editor
            > of the NGS Newsmagazine and currently edits the NGS on line newsletter,
            > UpFront. Both are expert genealogists of long standing and have created
            > number of very imaginative multimedia presentations of family data. (Some
            > of you might remember "I'm My Own Grandpa" (The Mumford Family Tree) from
            > Family Roots 2002.)
            >
            > The team has visited Dallas and Oklahoma City in the last few months and
            > recorded over 70, 000 digital images of a variety of family papers,
            > photos,
            > etc. Calgary is their third stop. The selection of our city was no
            > accident. The AFHS has a reputation as a very active group and was
            > presented an award for technical excellence in 2000 by the New England
            > Historical and Genealogical Society. I'm sure their choice will be
            > justified.
            >
            > Any questions can be addressed to Bill Mumford at mumford@... or
            > phone 933-2881 (leave a message and your phone number on the machine if no
            > answer. This is a local call from Calgary.)
            >

            > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            >
            > http://www.family-roots.ca

          • Bill Mumford
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
              the list Address

              A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
              Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
              Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of Directors
              had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
              detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
              30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
              confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
              deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
              with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
              mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
              decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
              to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
              has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
              reply to our appeal. None was received.

              I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
              2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
              have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
              mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
              information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am not
              at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
              the Family Papers Collection visit.

              I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
              the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
              their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
              it is
              any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my files
              to their original condition.

              Regretfully

              Bill Mumford

            • Gord Hulbert
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
                the list Address

                Hi Bill:

                I just got home from the Board meeting. I guess Heater Jaremko beat me
                home, because she called before I got home. Her husband is in the
                'digitising business. Her message was, he'd be happy to do Dennis'
                presentation. I know nothing of his qualifications or anything about the
                man himself. There's always Visutek (sp?). Please don't 'give up the ship'
                :).

                Regards,

                Gord Hulbert
                403-240-4636

                Gordon@...

                > A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
                > Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
                > Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of
                Directors
                > had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
                > detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
                > 30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
                > confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
                > deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
                > with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
                > mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
                > decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
                > to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
                > has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
                > reply to our appeal. None was received.
                >
                > I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
                > 2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
                > have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
                > mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
                > information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am
                not
                > at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
                > the Family Papers Collection visit.
                >
                > I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
                > the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
                > their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
                > it is
                > any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my
                files
                > to their original condition.
                >
                > Regretfully
                >
                > Bill Mumford
                >

                > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                >
                > http://www.family-roots.ca

                > $0 Web Hosting with up to 120MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer
                > Signup at www.doteasy.com

              • Donna Coulter
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 20, 2004
                  the list Address

                  What a dreadful disappointment .

                  However all is not lost.---just call me Polly Anna.

                  Everyone who gathered their pictures and certificates, everything that they
                  intended having scanned and stored. Can now store it on their own CD. Some
                  good will come out of all the work you folks did.

                  There are those who have already done just that. But many of us have
                  procrastinated until now.

                  Now is the time. Review those notes that compu-sig speakers gave us and DO
                  IT.

                  Donna Coulter.

                  > A few hours after I posted my last message to this list concerning the
                  > Family Papers Collection I received a call from a National Genealogical
                  > Society representative advising me that the newly elected Board of
                  Directors
                  > had decided to suspend the activities of the FPC mobile unit pending a
                  > detailed review of the program. The decision takes effect on September
                  > 30th, 2004. The decision to send the mobile unit to Calgary had been
                  > confirmed at Sacramento in May of this year and, as no contracts were
                  > deemed necessary, the AFHS and the FPC mobile unit proceeded
                  > with plans for a Calgary visit. Both the Ridenours, who compose the
                  > mobile unit, and myself, were more than a little upset by this arbitrary
                  > decision by the NGS Board and, after a lengthy discussion, decided
                  > to appeal the decision today. Due to the repercussions this decision
                  > has on our Family Roots 2004 planning I requested an immediate
                  > reply to our appeal. None was received.
                  >
                  > I referred the matter to both Gordon Hulbert, the Chair of Family Roots
                  > 2004, and Gordon Lane, Chair of the AFHS. A number of possible options
                  > have been discussed, including the possibility of funding the visit by the
                  > mobile unit to Calgary by the AFHS. However, based on confidential
                  > information that I, as a member of the NGS/GENTECH Advisory Council, am
                  not
                  > at liberty to publicly disclose, it has been decided to permanently cancel
                  > the Family Papers Collection visit.
                  >
                  > I would like to thank all those who so graciously volunteered to assist in
                  > the collection process. To those people who have spent hours searching
                  > their files for items suitable for digitizing, my sincerest apologies. If
                  > it is
                  > any consolation, I too find myself faced with the task of restoring my
                  files
                  > to their original condition.
                  >
                  > Regretfully
                  >
                  > Bill Mumford
                  >

                  > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  >
                  > http://www.family-roots.ca

                  ---

                • fredastewart
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 21, 2004
                    the list Address

                    Hi Bill - I am sorry for all the work you put into this project, just to
                    have it dumped down the tube. I suppose NGS has their reasons for their last
                    minute cancellation - and perhaps in time they will share those reasons. On
                    the surface of the issue, their actions do make one wonder about their
                    overall motives and credibility. Maybe at this time we are better off out of
                    it. Perhaps we need to look to our own National level for a Canadian data
                    bank - just a thought as I sit here sympathizing with you.
                    Freda Stewart