Did Edmonton have a flu epidemic in 1904?

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2 8:54 PM
      Hello:

      I have received the following request from:

      JoAnn Beale <pyropat@...>

      JoAnn has been helping me with my North Dakota research so I would
      really like to help her if possible but I am not qualified to answer her
      questions.

      Can somebody please help?

      Thanks.

      Rene Dussome

      I have a couple of questions for you. In Edmonton, my McCallum branch
      lived, went there some time between 1895 and the census in 1901.
      December 27, 1903, Catherine died, age 50, so she had had a hard life,
      10 kids and the Wentz girls did not seem to live very long. But then,
      February 13, 1904, her 18 year old daughter, Agnes, died. On August 13,
      1904, her 24 year old daughter, Emma, died. Now my question is: was
      there a flu or some other type of epidemic at that time? I have looked
      through history books and can't find a thing.

      Question 2; Have you looked at the 1906 census? Is there some way to
      find my people, without going through the whole thing? I don't have an
      address, just their district, Vegreville, Edmonton East, where they
      lived during the 1901 census.

      So, any thoughts would be appreciated.

      JoAnn

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5 6:59 PM
        The obvious place for keyword searching of the 1906 census is our own
        transcription site (url below). Note that 37% of the 800,000 persons in the
        census are now documented on our site. At this rate, we'll be done by end
        of 2005.
        Vegreville, while very near to Edmonton, lies in the Census District of
        Strathcona (#21). Links to the National Archives of Canada webpages for
        Strathcona District and our transcriptions can be found at:
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/21/

        The National Archives website also has a place where one can determine post
        office addresses. It shows that Vegreville post offices were located in
        following legal land descriptions:
        Twp 51 Range 15, West of 4th Meridian
        or
        Twp 52 Range 14, West of 4th Meridian

        Based on that I think that subdistrict No. 11 would be the best starting
        point. Handily, Lillian Parent has transcribed the 56 pp for that
        subdistrict already - at:
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/21/ab_21_11_all_parent.pdf

        Keep flexible in searching for spellings of names - some of the names are
        quite foreign to our volunteers, were mis-spelled by enumerators, the
        handwriting can be miserably hard to read, and some of the images are quite
        faint.

        More volunteer transcribers (and proofreaders) are always welcome. :-)

        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel
        judith@...

        and

        1906@...
        1906 Census Transcription Centre
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/
        Alberta Family Histories Society

      • Rene Dussome
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5 8:52 PM
          Dear Judii:

          Thank you soooooo much for your helpful advice. I much appreciate you
          taking the time out of your busy schedule to give such detailed advice.

          Rene

        • Judith Rempel
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6 6:12 AM
            :-) No need for special thanks. I just jump in when it's easy for me to
            answer (or easier for me than others).

            We now have about 85 volunteers who have helped on the 1906 project. But,
            there are only about a dozen active ones right now. Anyone else interested
            in helping? Below are percentage of census subdistricts in each census
            district that still require persons to commit. Note that we're in very good
            shape in Alberta, but we need a lot of help for much of Sask and Manitoba.

            District # (name) - % of subdistricts not adopted

            Manitoba
            --------
            #1 (Brandon) - 79%
            #2 (Dauphin) - 87%