Re: Doctors and other professions

  • Larry McCool
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28 2:28 PM
      There is a book
      In the Spirit of Good Medicine
      this was published in 1990 by the High River Hospital.
      ISBN No. 0919489-23-0
      Might be of interest to you. Beth, our daughter, presented us with a copy. Should be in the libraries.

      Larry

      Larry & Doreen McCool
      Calgary, AB Canada
      Our new address is
      mccoollh@...
      Our website is now at
      Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 2:48 PM
      Subject: Re: Doctors and other professions

      Thanks for sharing Xenia-- I brought up the article you wrote in the Chronicle--

      It is more than I need for the research I am doing but this sort of information is alway's welcome.

      I am actually looking for all the Doctors that worked in High River / Nanton area, particularly very early.
       Your article brings to light the types I am likely to run into. Some I know of--!!!!

      Thanks again.

      Judiths list of recognized Archives is dually saved as well.

      Donna Coulter

      Hi Donna,

      I found my article on workplace records from Family Chronicle reproduced on the web for free! It is at

      I only touch on the fact that doctors are found in "medical registers". However, as I mentioned the one in the Chinook was specifically on early doctors.

      I forgot to mention in my earlier note is that many doctors could and did slip under the radar and just hang up their shingle. In fact, in the very early days of Canada and the rest of North America it took less to be a doctor than it did to be a midwife and it took less to be a surgeon than to be an apothecary (early form of pharmacist, who in addition to growing and dispensing herbal and other remedies was also permitted to prescribe them whereas a surgeon was not). Surgeons were originally a side practice for barbers - since they already had the right tools for shaving with a straight razor, they added leeches, bandages and other tools of the trade. Then they displayed a sign or pole showing red and white stripes. This indicated not that they were solely a barber but were also open for surgery - red = blood and white = bandages.

      The ancestor of my children and the first "habitant" Louis Hebert was an apothecary in Paris and was hired for his expertise in this area. He came with Champlain, first to Acadia in 1606 and later to Quebec in 1617, since with his knowledge of herbs and plants he would be valuable in preventing scurvy as well as treating other illnesses through his prescriptions.

      The University trained doctor existed in these times and even earlier in Europe but was a rarity in North America or the other colonies where no rules were in force for most of the 17th and early 18th century. Yet every ship required (at least was supposed to have!) a doctor on board but many used the apothecary as they were more plentiful.

      I am sure you are not looking for a 17th century doctor in Alberta but as late as 1871 my client's ancestor was plying his trade in Ontario and as far as we could find he had no formal education nor was ever listed on a medical register of the College of Physicians and Surgeons. Even as early as that one could be fined for practicing medicine without a licence but many still did. Or who knows perhaps he was somewhere and in spite of my best efforts and that of the archivist at the Upper Canada College of Physicians and Surgeons, the man was listed or educated somewhere but we just haven't found where yet!

      à bientôt,

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28 2:28 PM
        Donna,
        For the High River area there is a good write up about the area doctors on pages 109- 125 in Lillian Knupp's book Life and Legends published by Snadstone Publishing in Calgary. She starts with Surgeon-General Fraser  in 1888 and goes through all the doctors that were in High River through the years. hope this helps.

        Norma Lendrum

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28 2:38 PM
          Donna,

          In addition, Leaves of the Medicine Tree also has write ups on the first two doctors in High River, Surgeon General Fraser, page182 and Dr. Welch page 127.

          Norma Lendrum

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28 7:02 PM
            Just Plain WOW--

            Good old dist-gen-- I believe I have everything I need.
            I thought I had Lillian Knupps book- but can't lay my hands on it. The Library, either here or High River will have it for sure.Thanks Norma.

            I do have the book you mentioned too Larry. "InThe Spirit of Good Medicine"

            Did you note all the other good links that were sent?

            Thanks everybody.

            Donna Coulter

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28 9:01 PM
              Hi Donna,

              The book "The Country Doctors" by Henri Chatenay has a map inside the front cover - there it lists for High River, Dr. G.D. Stanley. It does't list Taber but gives a doctor for Bassano and Wardlow. He came to Alberta in 1901. There are several pages devoted to him.

              Xenia