RE: Doctors and other professions

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
      I meant "medical registers" not medical records as I have below.
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
        Thanks for sharing Xenia-- I brought up the article you wrote in the Chronicle--

        It is more than I need for the research I am doing but this sort of information is alway's welcome.

        I am actually looking for all the Doctors that worked in High River / Nanton area, particularly very early.
         Your article brings to light the types I am likely to run into. Some I know of--!!!!

        Thanks again.

        Judiths list of recognized Archives is dually saved as well.

        Donna Coulter

        Hi Donna,

        I found my article on workplace records from Family Chronicle reproduced on the web for free! It is at

        I only touch on the fact that doctors are found in "medical registers". However, as I mentioned the one in the Chinook was specifically on early doctors.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
          There is a book
          In the Spirit of Good Medicine
          this was published in 1990 by the High River Hospital.
          ISBN No. 0919489-23-0
          Might be of interest to you. Beth, our daughter, presented us with a copy. Should be in the libraries.

          Larry

          Larry & Doreen McCool
          Calgary, AB Canada
          Our new address is
          mccoollh@...
          Our website is now at

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
            Donna,
            For the High River area there is a good write up about the area doctors on pages 109- 125 in Lillian Knupp's book Life and Legends published by Snadstone Publishing in Calgary. She starts with Surgeon-General Fraser  in 1888 and goes through all the doctors that were in High River through the years. hope this helps.

            Norma Lendrum

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
              Donna,

              In addition, Leaves of the Medicine Tree also has write ups on the first two doctors in High River, Surgeon General Fraser, page182 and Dr. Welch page 127.

              Norma Lendrum

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                Just Plain WOW--

                Good old dist-gen-- I believe I have everything I need.
                I thought I had Lillian Knupps book- but can't lay my hands on it. The Library, either here or High River will have it for sure.Thanks Norma.

                I do have the book you mentioned too Larry. "InThe Spirit of Good Medicine"

                Did you note all the other good links that were sent?

                Thanks everybody.

                Donna Coulter

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                  Hi Donna,

                  The book "The Country Doctors" by Henri Chatenay has a map inside the front cover - there it lists for High River, Dr. G.D. Stanley. It does't list Taber but gives a doctor for Bassano and Wardlow. He came to Alberta in 1901. There are several pages devoted to him.

                  Xenia