ARCHIVES IN ALBERTA - HOLDINGS

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004
      Want to know what the Provincial Archives has in it's shelves, boxes and
      folders? The PAA has had financial/technical/political (???) difficulties
      with getting information about its holdings into an online, accessible
      manner. Going to their website, one only learns the briefest things about
      them. However, they have contributed information about their holdings to
      the Archives Network of Alberta - operated online by the Archives Society of
      Alberta.

      Almost 500 of the PAA's fonds* holdings are described online at:
      http://tinyurl.com/ytwu6 (this tiny url points to the listings at Archives
      Society of Alberta's website).

      * a fonds is the theoretically complete assembly of information created by a
      person, organizational, business, or government body - of which many records
      are held at archives).

      You can search the entire listing of thousands of fonds described for
      Alberta at: http://asalive.archivesalberta.org:8080/access/asa/archaa/

      Note that the second search field which lists "topics" is not a typical
      keyword search tool. The ANA has a restricted set of fewer than 20
      "topics". A comprehensive search is best done using keywords of interest
      from the first search field n the above page.

      If you'er interested in searching more broadly, the ANA participates in
      several other archival network databases. Links to those can be found at:
      http://www.archivesalberta.org/general/database.htm (ANA descriptions are
      automatically captured by the CNWAN and CAIN from time to time).

      P.S. As Archival Coordinator of The Mennonite Historical Society of
      Alberta, I'm proud to say that we (MHSA) now have 11 of our fonds described
      in this environment. Many more to come - watch us grow.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel
      judith@...

      and

      queries@...
      Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
      http://www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004
        Congratulations Judii on your work as Archival Coordinator of The Mennonite
        Historical Society of
        Alberta and for having 11 fonds in the PAA.

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004
          Thanks, Xenia. But, there's one small correction - our fonds are listed in
          the ANA (Archives Network of Alberta) and upper bodies. NOT in the PAA.
          PAA has their own fonds listed in the ANA.

          - Judii

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 28, 2004
            Thanks for the correction. I guess I did not read the message thoroughly.
            Anyway I know you have done much great work for the MSHA.

            Xenia