RE: Doctors

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 27, 2004
      It doesn't help you - but might help others.... here's a full list of recognized Archives in Alberta:

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel
      judith@...

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
        Hi -- As a matter of fact it just might be of help. Thanks Judith. Haven't checked any of them-- but Glenbow Archives will be a good start-- Early Professionals?

        They carry just about everything don't they

        Talk to you soon. Thanks again. Donna Coulter

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
          The Glenbow is an excellent source of information on doctors in Alberta but don't forget to also check out the Heber C. Jamieson Fonds at University of Alberta Archives
          #100, 8170-50th Street
          Edmonton, Alberta T6B 1E6
          The finding aid for the Archives is at

          Depending upon what doctor you are trying to find, there is this book in which I found my first doctor - the one who delivered me and later admitted me to hospital with pneumonia. I have one of the copies at home and can check for the doctor if you have his/her name.

          R464 .A1 C48 1980
          The Country doctors
          Chatenay, Henri, 1941-

          Personal author: Chatenay, Henri, 1941-
          Title: The Country doctors / by Henri Chatenay ; with an introduction by Morley A.R. Young.
          Publication info: Red Deer, Alta. : Mattrix Press, 1980.
          Physical description: 272 p. : ill., 1 map, ports. ; 23 cm.
          Medical subject: Physicians--Canada--biography.
          Subject: Physicians--Prairie Provinces--Biography.
          RVM subject: Médecins--Provinces des Prairies--Biographies.
          ISBN: 0969001312

          CopyMaterialLocation
          Call Numbers
          1)R464 .A1 C48 19801DEFINITEdue:3/7/2004
          2)WZ140 .DC2 C36 198012WEEKHealth Sciences Library - main stacks
          2LIBONLYHealth Sciences Library - Medical History - ask at Circ.desk (nocirc)
          32WEEK
          Health Sciences Library - main stacks

          Also I wrote an article on finding doctors in your family tree that was published in Chinook many moons ago. I had conducted research for a client on the doctor in her family tree and she wanted to know what qualifications you needed to hang out a shingle in those days. In addition I looked for her ancestor in a number of lists and directories. This way I discovered that there were lists called Registers or Medical Registers. For example in the above archives, there is a Medical Register recording the first 147 registrants published December 31, 1901 (the registrants of course are those registered to practice medicine).

          The registers were published by the College of Physicians and Surgeons (earlier known in Canada as Royal Colleges...) The above Medical Register recording the first 147 registrants published December 31, 1901 is from the College of Physicians and Surgeons established in 1886 for the Northwest Territories (in 1905 these were separated in Alberta ... and Saskatachewan ...)

          At one point in time when I could not find my client's doctor in any list, I emailed the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons for Upper Canada and received a reply. Since most of this was on a computer long gone, I don't know the address anymore. Also since the doctor in question was from Scotland, I wrote to the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons for Glasgow and the only other one of the time, which was I believe Aberdeen.

          Somewhere I do have my notes but you may find more help if you look up the Chinook article - that is, if you feel the doctor trained outside of Alberta. There is a giant book listing all the early American doctors and many of the early doctors to the prairies trained either in the U.S. or in Upper Canada (now Ontario).

          Hope this helps,

          à bientôt,

          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
            Hi Donna,

            I found my article on workplace records from Family Chronicle reproduced on the web for free! It is at

            I only touch on the fact that doctors are found in "medical records". However, as I mentioned the one in the Chinook was specifically on early doctors.

            I forgot to mention in my earlier note is that many doctors could and did slip under the radar and just hang up their shingle. In fact, in the very early days of Canada and the rest of North America it took less to be a doctor than it did to be a midwife and it took less to be a surgeon than to be an apothecary (early form of pharmacist, who in addition to growing and dispensing herbal and other remedies was also permitted to prescribe them whereas a surgeon was not). Surgeons were originally a side practice for barbers - since they already had the right tools for shaving with a straight razor, they added leeches, bandages and other tools of the trade. Then they displayed a sign or pole showing red and white stripes. This indicated not that they were solely a barber but were also open for surgery - red = blood and white = bandages.

            The ancestor of my children and the first "habitant" Louis Hebert was an apothecary in Paris and was hired for his expertise in this area. He came with Champlain, first to Acadia in 1606 and later to Quebec in 1617, since with his knowledge of herbs and plants he would be valuable in preventing scurvy as well as treating other illnesses through his prescriptions.

            The University trained doctor existed in these times and even earlier in Europe but was a rarity in North America or the other colonies where no rules were in force for most of the 17th and early 18th century. Yet every ship required (at least was supposed to have!) a doctor on board but many used the apothecary as they were more plentiful.

            I am sure you are not looking for a 17th century doctor in Alberta but as late as 1871 my client's ancestor was plying his trade in Ontario and as far as we could find he had no formal education nor was ever listed on a medical register of the College of Physicians and Surgeons. Even as early as that one could be fined for practicing medicine without a licence but many still did. Or who knows perhaps he was somewhere and in spite of my best efforts and that of the archivist at the Upper Canada College of Physicians and Surgeons, the man was listed or educated somewhere but we just haven't found where yet!

            à bientôt,

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                Thanks for sharing Xenia-- I brought up the article you wrote in the Chronicle--

                It is more than I need for the research I am doing but this sort of information is alway's welcome.

                I am actually looking for all the Doctors that worked in High River / Nanton area, particularly very early.
                 Your article brings to light the types I am likely to run into. Some I know of--!!!!

                Thanks again.

                Judiths list of recognized Archives is dually saved as well.

                Donna Coulter

                Hi Donna,

                I found my article on workplace records from Family Chronicle reproduced on the web for free! It is at

                I only touch on the fact that doctors are found in "medical registers". However, as I mentioned the one in the Chinook was specifically on early doctors.

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                  There is a book
                  In the Spirit of Good Medicine
                  this was published in 1990 by the High River Hospital.
                  ISBN No. 0919489-23-0
                  Might be of interest to you. Beth, our daughter, presented us with a copy. Should be in the libraries.

                  Larry

                  Larry & Doreen McCool
                  Calgary, AB Canada
                  Our new address is
                  mccoollh@...
                  Our website is now at

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                    Donna,
                    For the High River area there is a good write up about the area doctors on pages 109- 125 in Lillian Knupp's book Life and Legends published by Snadstone Publishing in Calgary. She starts with Surgeon-General Fraser  in 1888 and goes through all the doctors that were in High River through the years. hope this helps.

                    Norma Lendrum

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                      Donna,

                      In addition, Leaves of the Medicine Tree also has write ups on the first two doctors in High River, Surgeon General Fraser, page182 and Dr. Welch page 127.

                      Norma Lendrum

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                        Just Plain WOW--

                        Good old dist-gen-- I believe I have everything I need.
                        I thought I had Lillian Knupps book- but can't lay my hands on it. The Library, either here or High River will have it for sure.Thanks Norma.

                        I do have the book you mentioned too Larry. "InThe Spirit of Good Medicine"

                        Did you note all the other good links that were sent?

                        Thanks everybody.

                        Donna Coulter

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 28, 2004
                          Hi Donna,

                          The book "The Country Doctors" by Henri Chatenay has a map inside the front cover - there it lists for High River, Dr. G.D. Stanley. It does't list Taber but gives a doctor for Bassano and Wardlow. He came to Alberta in 1901. There are several pages devoted to him.

                          Xenia