Archival Supplies

  • Ancestor Find
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26 9:35 AM
      Regarding the message from Judy Remple about the cost of archival supplies:

      I spoke with the fellow in charge of the Archive Supply store at the Provincial Archives yesterday afternoon.  They are willing and most happy to allow me to carry and sell the supplies they offer to the public.  Some they always have in stock - the basic items most people ask for.  Others, if requested, can be brought in.  The Provincial Archives has not only added retail sales but also added a technical services arm to its mandate so that individuals have an access point for preserving their personal/private holdings.

      The Archives Service Centre provides the following most commonly used services:

      1) Copy and duplicate negatives of originals (negatives on 4x5" film meeting ANSI standards, negs in acid-free envelope) $6.00to $8.00 per negative.
       2) Reprints of negatives-both digital and traditional prints from original negatives, whether they be glass plates or nitrate, copy of dupe negs - range of prices from the smallest prints 4x5" - $3.00 to 16x20"-$21.95 as well as archival prints (these are fibre-based prints, silk processed by hand, tones for permanence) 8x10"-$15.00 through 16x20"-$40.00
      3) Audio duplication from reel-to-reel originals or cassettes to storage or reference tape to CD's - from $5.00 to -$20.00 per item.
       4) Custom enclosures - from enclosures to house glass lantern slides to wedding dresses - these vary on price depending on size and number - starting from $5.00 per box.
      5) Encapsulations - minor repair of original document then either a buffered backing or deacidification then trapped in Mylar-again the price depends oon size and number but a letter (5x7") would be about $5.00.

      Listed below are the most commonly asked for archivals supplies:
      1) Acid-free bond paper - 8 1/2 by 11" - $9.50 per 500 sheets
      2) Acid-free bond paper - 8 1/2 by 14" - $12.95 per 500 sheets
      3) Acid-free buffered tissue - 20 x 30" - $0.33 per sheet
      4) Acid-free unbuffered tissue = 20 x 30" - $1.10 per sheet
      5) Acid-free file folders - legal size - $0.47 per folder; letter size - $0.42 per folder
      6) Acid-free envelopes with flap - 6 x 9" - $0.45 each, 8 1/2 x 10 1/2" $0.55 each, 9 x 12" - $0.60 each
      7) Acid-free photo envelopes (can be buffered or unbuffered) from 4 x 5" to 8 x 10" - prices from $0.23 to $0.75 each.
      8) Acid-free, lignin free - half-size storage cartons (10 x 15.25 x 6.5") $8.85 per box
      9) White cotton gloves (S,M,L,XL) $1.99 per pair
      10) Mylar Photo Sleeves (4 x 5 through 8 x 10") $0.83 to $2.15 each
      11) Photos pages various sizes $0.64 per sheet or $52.95 per 100

      Let me know what you are interested in and I will bring them in.  I will have a hand-out at the AFHS meeting on Monday for your perusual.  I plan on having some of the basics at the monthly meetings but they couldn't get an order together for this Monday. I will have some things for the meeting in April.

      Sincerely,

      Beverley A. Rees, genealogist
      Ancestor Find
      http://www.familyhistree.com
    • Ancestor Find
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2005
        I will be bringing archival packs of paper to the AFHS meeting this evening.  Paper is heavy to carry so if anyone wants a package or two let me know and I will arrange to bring the paper for those interested.  The paper is $9.95 per package and is the paper they use in the Alberta Archives in Edmonton.