Re: Books on Alberta Towns

  • Phyllis Ziajka
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2004
      Hi List:
      I'm wondering if the books Gordon is referring to are the ones done by the
      town ca. 1970's with stories, pictures, etc. of some of the early
      inhabitants of the towns... i.e. I have the one on Coleman, Alberta, and is
      subsequent "follow-up" (which is mostly pictures)..... I refer back to this
      time and time again. My husband was born in Coleman and his parents were
      Polish immigrants to the town ca. 1920 (much earlier for his father I
      believe)...... we didn't even KNOW about these books until we were in the
      Coleman Museum about 3 years ago!!!

      I would think that if anyone with family connections to any small town in
      Alberta (Saskatchewan too I believe), would contact the town clerk or the
      local public library for the area, they could perhaps find that these books
      are still available from the town office, or local museum.... certainly
      worth a try!!! Also... the book I bought in Coleman cost me a lot less than
      $70 I might add!!!

      Cheers,
      Phyllis Z.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2004
        Several of these "local town history" books are part of the AFHS library.
        Fred
        > I'm wondering if the books Gordon is referring to are the ones done by the
        > town ca. 1970's with stories, pictures, etc. of some of the early
        > inhabitants of the towns... i.e. I have the one on Coleman, Alberta, and
        is
        > subsequent "follow-up" (which is mostly pictures)..... I refer back to
        this
        > time and time again. My husband was born in Coleman and his parents were
        > Polish immigrants to the town ca. 1920 (much earlier for his father I
        > believe)...... we didn't even KNOW about these books until we were in the
        > Coleman Museum about 3 years ago!!!
        >
        > I would think that if anyone with family connections to any small town in
        > Alberta (Saskatchewan too I believe), would contact the town clerk or the
        > local public library for the area, they could perhaps find that these
        books
        > are still available from the town office, or local museum.... certainly
        > worth a try!!! Also... the book I bought in Coleman cost me a lot less
        than
        > $70 I might add!!!
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Phyllis Z.

      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2004
          The books are early history of the town such as you mention below, the books
          I was looking at were at least 8 * 11 and a good 2 inches or more thick.
          There were even some Calgary City directories.

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Vice Chair
          AFHS Webster
          Editor Chinook

          Family website
          http://www.rumbolt.com

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • B Morgan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2004

            I have a two Volume set of books "Pioneer Round-Up" they cover the areas in northern Alberta of Albright, Demmitt, Goodfair, Hythe, Lymburn, and Valhalla, I will do look ups.

            STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Judith Rempel
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 25, 2004
              And, Judie Riddell and others have compiled a comprehensive list of local
              history books and their availability in the Calgary area on our website.
              From our homepage, click on "local history" (under the RESEARCH AIDS
              heading), or go directly to:
              http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/localhistory/

              Mennonite researchers - I know there are some still "in the closet" - will
              find a good and growing collection at the Mennonite Historical Society
              Library (covering prairie provinces). :-)

              In Kinship,
              Judith Rempel
              judith@...

              and

              queries@...
              Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta
              http://www.mennonites.ca/mhsa/

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Phyllis Ziajka
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 25, 2004
                Hi List (& Gordon):

                In re-reading my note, I should have said that the books I own are not
                "just" about Coleman, but in fact the whole Crows Nest Pass, and yes Gordon,
                they are at least 8 x 11 and 2" thick. They are a golden-yellow colour,
                perhap the AFHS library has them, or similar ones. If anyone would like me
                to look up a surname and see if its in there I'd be happy to do so.
                Cheers,
                Phyllis Z.