something to consider to preserve our research for future generations...

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 24, 2004
      This was posted on the Ontario rootsweb list. An interesting idea.

      Carol Lylyk

      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Genealogical Codicil to My Last Will and Testament

      To my spouse, children, guardian, administrator and/or executor:

      Upon my demise it is requested that you DO NOT dispose of any or all of
      my genealogical records, both those prepared personally by me and those
      records prepared by others which may be in my possession, including but
      not limited to books, files, notebooks or computer programs for a period
      of two years.

      During this time period, please attempt to identify one or more persons
      who would be willing to take custody of the said materials and the
      responsibility of maintaining and continuing the family histories. [If
      you know whom within your family or friends are likely candidates to
      accept these materials, please add the following at this point: "I
      suggest that the persons contacted regarding the assumption of the
      custody of these items include but not be limited to" and then list the
      names of those individuals at this point, with their addresses and
      telephone numbers if known]

      In the event you do no find anyone to accept these materials, please
      contact the various genealogical organizations that I have been a member
      of and determine if they will accept some parts or all of my
      genealogical materials. [List of organizations, addresses and phone
      numbers at bottom; include local chapters, with their addresses, phone
      numbers and contact persons if available as well as state/national
      contact information and addresses]

      Please remember that my genealogical endeavors consumed a great deal of
      time, travel, and money. Therefore it is my desire that the products of
      these endeavors be allowed to continue in a manner that will make them
      available to others in the future.

      Signature ___________________________ Date ___________

      Witness ____________________________ Date ___________

      Witness ____________________________ Date ___________

      ______________________________

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Audrey Wirtzfeld
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2004
        This is excellent advice and one I am going to do.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2004
          Carol: What a brilliant idea!
          My husband has been saying to me, "What are the children going
          to do with all your collection of albums, pictures and Family Reseach when
          you are gone?" Adding formal instructions of our wishes to our Will,
          together with names and addresses, will make disposing of our stuff so much
          easier for our heirs. And we need to do it now, because you do not need to
          be "old" to pass on; it happens at all ages.
          Thanks for the nudge.

          Mertie Beatty

          > This is excellent advice and one I am going to do.

        • Gordon Lane
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2004
            It also brings to mind the special meeting on march 6th and Bill Mumford
            will be talking about a possible digitization program that is run by the
            NGS.

            My thought is that you can get all your documents digitised and then the NGS
            gives you a cd, which you then give to the AFHS Library, which can then be
            archived at the Glenbow.
            The AFHS has started a regular program of archiving material at the Glenbow.

            I would rather get Helen mad with me :-) and suggest you leave your
            documents to the Library than see people's research lost.
            You may not have someone in the immeadiate family who is interested but
            there is always someone in your tree

            Books are invaluable, I was rummaging through the Heritage Antiques hall the
            other month and there were Anniversary books there of some of the small
            towns of Alberta going for $70 and up. It is actually worth a visit if your
            roots are in Alberta.

            Regards

            Gordon Lane
            Vice Chair
            AFHS Webster
            Editor Chinook

            Family website
            http://www.rumbolt.com

          • Helen Backhouse
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2004
              We may have to get more book shelves, but please do remember that books you
              no longer want can be a gold mine for someone else. Yes, to giving us your
              finished projects (family history type only) they would also find a warm and
              friendly home in the AFHS library. Last but not least, CDs are a dream for
              us to store and for others to use.
              Helen, the librarian