FW: Scan for Spyware, Adware and Other Unwanted Threats

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 23, 2004
      Zone Labs
      Anyone have experience with this?  I 'bit', since Zone Labs appear to be one of the good guys.

      But:

      * it works via installing a couple of things on the computer
      * it works only via their website (can't initiate from the pc alone)
      * the results are lengthy (on my pc), not printable
      * the results suggest that cookies themselves can be spyware
      * the results show 'registry' locations for the 'pests', but doesn't provide info on how to remove them
      * some of the 'prests' are simply things that permit sitetracking software (like our own http://www.sitemeter.com/default.asp?action=stats&site=sm81906census> to determine whether a visitor is a first-timer, or a repeat visitor (I wouldn't include this in MY definition of a pest)

      Until now I've thought of cookies as generally benign and sort of a form of artificial intelligence  - the more one visits a particular site, the more the cookie is aware of one's uses/searches and future uses/searches can be thus more effective  And, I don't see any FAQs that really define "pests" or permit the user to manage the definition (the way one can e with e-mail-screening blacklists and whitelists).

      I'm also very wary about editing my own registry.

      Other thoughts?  If it weren't ZoneLabs, I would have blown this away already and not consulted with you all.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel
       judith@...

      and