PRESERVATION

  • William Campbell
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
      Hi Folks:

      While we are having this tutorial on preservation I wonder if anyone can
      share their knowledge about paper quality.

      The common copy paper and computer printer paper available from the
      stationery suppliers is reputed to be acid-free. That seems pretty good.
      It is certainly far superior to newsprint.
      However, if we want to go a step above copy/printer paper to archival
      quality paper, in say 24 pound white 8½ x 11 size where can we find a
      modest supply, short of buying a full ream?

      The correct answer will allow your entry into a draw for a free trip to
      Okotoks! <G>

      Bill

      --
      WILLIAM CAMPBELL
      CALGARY, Alberta, CANADA

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Mary Arthur
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
        I would caution people on this, some of my packages say acid free, some
        don't (the cheaper) - if it doesn't say acid free, it is not.
        I have not bought any archival paper, but have you tried scrap book
        supplies?

        On 21-Feb-04, at 17:09, William Campbell wrote:

        > The common copy paper and computer printer paper available from the
        > stationery suppliers is reputed to be acid-free. That seems pretty
        > good.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • fmonk
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
          Dear Bill: Your question: "... if we want to go a step above copy/printer
          paper to archival
          quality paper, in say 24 pound white 8= x 11 size where can we find a
          modest supply, short of buying a full ream?" If you sent out a survey of
          AFHS members perhaps you would find others who are also interested to share
          a small part of a full ream. Make sure you put my name into the free free
          trip to Okotoks! Fred

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
            Epson has VERY expensive 100% cotton paper which will no doubt last
            centuries. I saw a pack at London Drugs but passed because it was
            >$2.00 per page.

            Lois Sparling

            William Campbell wrote:

            > Hi Folks:
            >
            > While we are having this tutorial on preservation I wonder if anyone
            > can share their knowledge about paper quality.
            >
            > The common copy paper and computer printer paper available from the
            > stationery suppliers is reputed to be acid-free. That seems pretty good.
            > It is certainly far superior to newsprint.
            > However, if we want to go a step above copy/printer paper to archival
            > quality paper, in say 24 pound white 8½ x 11 size where can we find a
            > modest supply, short of buying a full ream?
            >
            > The correct answer will allow your entry into a draw for a free trip
            > to Okotoks! <G>
            >
            > Bill

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Lois Sparling
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
              Global Genealogy sells archival stuff including paper.

              Lois

              Mary Arthur wrote:

              > I would caution people on this, some of my packages say acid free,
              > some don't (the cheaper) - if it doesn't say acid free, it is not.
              > I have not bought any archival paper, but have you tried scrap book
              > supplies?
              >
              > On 21-Feb-04, at 17:09, William Campbell wrote:
              >
              >> The common copy paper and computer printer paper available from the
              >> stationery suppliers is reputed to be acid-free. That seems pretty good.

            • Judith Rempel
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2004
                see my note on PAA - I've bought 500 sheets at a time.

                In Kinship,
                Judith Rempel
                judith@...

                and