Marital Status "U"

  • fmonk
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21, 2004
      On a 1881 census record I have found a relative Walter (H), his wife and two children. Also living in the home is Walter's  younger brother (21 year old James).  Jame's marital status is listed as "U". Does anyone have an idea what "U" stands for?  I suppose the obvious is "Unmarried" but I have not seen this description used elsewhere.  Fred
    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2004
        U means unmarried;  I have seen it in USA census

        Lois Sparling