Marital Status "U"

  • fmonk
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 21 1:30 PM
      On a 1881 census record I have found a relative Walter (H), his wife and two children. Also living in the home is Walter's  younger brother (21 year old James).  Jame's marital status is listed as "U". Does anyone have an idea what "U" stands for?  I suppose the obvious is "Unmarried" but I have not seen this description used elsewhere.  Fred
    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21 1:39 PM
        Frank:

        "U" is the standard symbol for unmarried on censuses.

        Rene

        > On a 1881 census record I have found a relative Walter (H), his wife
        > and two children. Also living in the home is Walter's younger brother
        > (21 year old James). Jame's marital status is listed as "U". Does
        > anyone have an idea what "U" stands for? I suppose the obvious is
        > "Unmarried" but I have not seen this description used elsewhere. Fred

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21 6:35 PM
          U means unmarried;  I have seen it in USA census

          Lois Sparling