FW: Rea Surname DNA Project

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2002
      Message
      Are you taking part in the genetics testing for Family Roots?

      The gentleman below has started his own family program using the following company.  It makes for very interesting reading but as always there are costs in getting directly involved

      Ancestry.com also offer genetics testing through Relative Genetics of Salt Lake.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Treasurer
      Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      Family Roots 2002: http://www.family-roots.ca
      Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

      Greetings from America, where the Rea Surname DNA Project is now getting underway. This is a joint project designed to find and catalog all the various Rea families (all spellings) of the world through the science of DNA matching. This project will be a long-term endeavor that should yield much valuable genealogical data for all participants.

      As the surname Rea is distributed throughout Canada, we are very interested in getting as many Canadian Reas as possible to participate.

      For full information, see our website: http://www.clanrea.org/dna.htm

      Gary Rea
      Project Administrator
      Rea Surname DNA Project
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2002
        > Gordon Lane wrote:
        >
        > Are you taking part in the genetics testing for Family Roots?
        >
        > The gentleman below has started his own family program using the
        > following company. It makes for very interesting reading but as
        > always there are costs in getting directly involved
        >
        > http://www.familytreedna.com/

        Whine. I'd love to do this for a friend/myself to see if we're kin
        (both born Rempel), but there are no males left in my immediate family
        (fa, bro are dead, no children) or in hers (fa, bro are dead, no male
        children).

        If someone decides to go for it ... please report back to the list
        letting us know your experience.

        Also, fyi, the information on http://www.familytreedna.com/tc.html is
        the kind of content that will be in the 'lecture' on Friday night of
        Family Roots. Except, that it will be explained slowly, with multiple
        slides and examples - and there will be opportunities for
        questions/answers.

        I also poked around a bit and found a few other families doing this. If
        you know of any, please let me know and we'll post at:

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/dna_studies.html

        --
        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster

        and

        afhs@...

        Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

        FamilyRoots 2002
      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 7, 2002
          Just for Judii,

          But really of interest to all

          Mitochondria - mtDNA Tests

          Maternal Match: tests the mtDNA of females and the female lineage of
          males (HVR1). Results are placed in our mtDNA database and when 2 people
          show the same identical polymorphism, we will inform both parties if you
          have both signed the FTDNA Release Form. The customer receives a report
          generally describing mtDNA, the meaning of polymorphism, your
          differences from the Cambridge Reference Sequence and the meaning of
          probability between matches.