1901 English Census

  • Rene
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2002
      Hello:

      I have spent all evening linking families together after receiving a tip
      from a friend in England. He said:

      "One thing I did discover, if you copy and paste the whole line
      of the search results into Word you also copy across the hyperlink for
      the name (turns up as blue underlined in my version/configuration of
      Word 97). If you then right click on this in Word one of the options you
      get is hyperlink - select edit from the next menu and it displays the
      person ID from the census. A lot easier than cutting and pasting from
      the census."

      When I copied and pasted a line of search results into Word the name did
      not appear in blue. After a bit of trial and error I found the following
      worked for me:

      With the Person Result Screen on the desktop I saved it as an .htm file.

      Then I opened the file in Word. The person's name appeared in blue.

      I hovered the cursor over his name and the ID number appeared.

      That was all there was to it.

      I then searched for all known family members and sorted them according
      to ID numbers.

      Next I searched for all males with the same surname in the parish in
      question - keyword Hunslet (Leeds).

      By clicking on each name I was able to connect that person to a family
      with a similar ID number.

      I did a second search for all females.

      The result was:

      Arthur Shooter RIN 2523 aged 51 ID 8345705 Iron Turner Fitter
      Sarah Shooter RIN 2524 aged 51 ID 8345706 - wife
      Thomas Shooter RIN 2529 aged 19 ID 8345707
      Charles Shooter RIN 2530 aged 16 ID 8345708 Mechanic Fitter Apprentice
      Eliza Shooter RIN ____ aged 13 ID 8345709 - not previously known
      Horrace Shooter RIN ____ aged 9 ID 8345710 - not previously known

      Arthur Shooter RIN 2520 aged 25 ID 28044253 Iron Fettler and Barman -
      Son of Arthur Sr
      Emma Shooter RIN 2522 aged 23 ID 28044254 - wife
      Annie Shooter RIN ____ aged 3 ID 28044255 - not previously known

      Albert Shooter RIN 2528 aged 23 ID 28028548 Newspaper Packer -
      Son of Arthur Sr
      Lucy Shooter RIN ____ aged 23 ID 28028549 - wife? - not previously known

      Herbert Shooter RIN ____ aged 21 ID 8347894 - not known - Slater
      Emmie Shooter RIN ____ aged 22 ID 8347895 born Lincoln - not known
      Samul Shooter RIN ____ aged 11M ID 8347896 - not previously known

      I still haven't paid any money but I am going to open a voucher
      tomorrow! I have found lots of names in the index and now I need further
      information about them. I have a feeling my two vouchers will not last
      long.

      Incidentally, several people have asked me what it costs to get
      information online. The charges are:

      Details for individual person 50p
      Details for all members of the household 50p
      Image of census page .75

      Rene
    • Rene
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
        Hello:

        The undernoted e-mail has just come in via the UK-1901-CENSUS mailing
        list.

        Those members who have received my "Tips" file will already have a note
        of the URL quoted. John Hanson's link is new.

        Rene Dussome

        From: John Hanson <john.hanson@...>

        Many of you will know of Jeanne Bunting's and my own interest in census
        errors. Well a few days ago and thanks to Stephen Miller's program we
        visited Kew and checked out all of the DITTO's and DO's

        The results of this are now available online via a web page hosted by
        Graham Ledbrook. It is intended to add more errors of a similar nature
        as time passes.

        The URL of Graham's site is
        http://www.web-community.co.uk/census/news.html
        and you will find a link there to our Census Transcription Errors page.
        If you think of some or have some that you would like added please let
        me know.

        The DITTO page has the full details of each family and we have also
        corrected all the other errors at the same time. For those that are
        interested the surnames involved are:-

        BOON
        BOYES
        BRUCKSHAW
        COX
        CRADDOCK
        EVERITT
        GODDARD
        GOSWELL
        HOWARTH
        JOHNS
        LEECHMAN
        MARTIN
        MIDDLEWEEK (A lovely one this)
        MILLS
        PICCOLLO
        PITT
        POULTNEY
        SAUNDERS JR
        STEPHENS
        TUOHY
        WRIGHT
        ZIMMERMAN

        Hopefully this will help someone

        Regards
        John Hanson
        Member of the Society of Genealogists (www.sog.org.uk)
        Member of the Guild of One Name Studies (www.one-name.org)
      • Rene
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 21, 2002
          Hello:

          If you have accessed the 1901 census you may have found that there are
          many transcription errors.

          This is a message I received from a friend in England:

          > I have been using the 1901 census for about 3 months now. It was available in London at the FRC before it went onto the web temporarily. I filled in that many mistake forms in my alotted hour in London one day that the supervisor came to see me. He asked if I would like to see the representative of the contracting firm who did the work on the census to see if I could get a refund on my voucher money. I waited and spoke to the rep but he said that because I had seen what I wanted he could not make any refund, so I enquired about a refund for time wasted searching and he just laughed at me and walked away. I have not finished yet; every time I go to London I will fill the same fault forms in until I get some response or they correct the mistakes.

          (Rene: I understand that all the errors are going to be corrected at a
          later date. I believe that January 2003 was mentioned.)

          he replied:

          > Lots of misspellings i.e. 50% of the Grunwells are down as Greenwells; husband's and wife's names spelt differently, even though the wife's name had "do" at the side of it. One person was shown as born in Ecclesfield, and the image clearly stated born in Germany. All these add up to time wasted trying to hunt for people.

          We have to be very inventive when searching for some of our missing
          ancestors.

          Initially, I could not find my first husband's family. The last name was
          Tunstall and when I eventually found it I discovered that it had been
          transcribed as Timstall. There is no way I could have found that using a
          wildcard because a wildcard must be preceded by at least two characters.

          In hindsight I suppose I could have tried Ta* Te* Ti* To* and Tu* but
          this type of search did not occur to me.

          The way I found the family in the end was to do a search using the given
          name only, not the surname. To do this you have to show given name, sex,
          age (you can use +/-), and place of birth.

          Best of luck with your searches!

          Rene Dussome
        • Rene
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
            Hi:

            I sent the following message on September 28th:

            > There have been lots of messages coming through the UK-1901-CENSUS
            mailing list recently about transcription errors. This one arrived this
            morning from:

            John Holden <john.holden3@...>

            " . . . as a result of the problems with the 1901, the PRO will
            not now put any more censuses on line. They have instead, licensed the
            whole lot to Ancestry.com as a way of fulfilling their promise. That has
            to be an improvement doesn't it? Access virtually restricted to those
            with credit cards. No free index. Probably no facility to correct
            transcription errors."

            It has been pointed out to me that people reading this message may think
            it refers to the 1901 census. It does not. The 1901 census is online and
            we hope it will stay on line. The PRO and Qinetiq need to make lots of
            money to recoup their investment.

            Please read the second line of John Holden's message carefully; ". . .
            any more censuses . . ." are the operative words.

            The PRO had promised to put the censuses for 1841 to 1891 online in a
            similar fashion to the 1901 census. It now appears that because of all
            the transcription errors (and the resulting complaints) they have
            decided not to proceed with online versions for earlier censuses.
            Instead, John Holden says they have licensed the project to
            Ancestry.com.

            No official announcement has been made to this effect.

            * * *

            Users of the 1901 online census will know that it is not available from
            late Saturday evening to Monday morning (GMT). Yesterday I tried to get
            in "through the back door" (using the https address) but it appears that
            the door has been closed!

            Rene Dussome
          • John Doyle
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
              Dear Rene,

              All I can say is I am glad I have been able to find 99% of my people in the
              1901 census index without TOO much trouble, although errors abound.

              Glad too that the other censuses are available on film. I have availed
              myself of most of the ones that apply to my people.

              I think the PRO got into something too big for them to handle. I don't see
              how they are going to make that much money from the 1901, as the index, if
              you know how to fiddle with it, gives you just about everything you need to
              find out. They should have contacted the "experts". That would have cost
              them nothing, or am I wrong on that?

              Judith Doyle, the appalled

              > I sent the following message on September 28th:
              >
              > > There have been lots of messages coming through the UK-1901-CENSUS
              > mailing list recently about transcription errors. This one arrived this
              > morning from:
              >
              > John Holden <john.holden3@...>
              >
              > " . . . as a result of the problems with the 1901, the PRO will
              > not now put any more censuses on line. They have instead, licensed the
              > whole lot to Ancestry.com as a way of fulfilling their promise. That has
              > to be an improvement doesn't it? Access virtually restricted to those
              > with credit cards. No free index. Probably no facility to correct
              > transcription errors."
              >
              > It has been pointed out to me that people reading this message may think
              > it refers to the 1901 census. It does not. The 1901 census is online and
              > we hope it will stay on line. The PRO and Qinetiq need to make lots of
              > money to recoup their investment.
              >
              > Please read the second line of John Holden's message carefully; ". . .
              > any more censuses . . ." are the operative words.
              >
              > The PRO had promised to put the censuses for 1841 to 1891 online in a
              > similar fashion to the 1901 census. It now appears that because of all
              > the transcription errors (and the resulting complaints) they have
              > decided not to proceed with online versions for earlier censuses.
              > Instead, John Holden says they have licensed the project to
              > Ancestry.com.
              >
              > No official announcement has been made to this effect.
              >
              > * * *
              >
              > Users of the 1901 online census will know that it is not available from
              > late Saturday evening to Monday morning (GMT). Yesterday I tried to get
              > in "through the back door" (using the https address) but it appears that
              > the door has been closed!
              >
              > Rene Dussome
              > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              > http://www.family-roots.ca

            • Carol Lee
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
                Perhaps it may help to know that all of the Ancestry.com site is available
                at the Family History Centre. It costs $1.00/hr to use the internet.
                Ancestry has made its complete site available to all Family History Centres
                at no cost to the Centres. The $1.00 is for the ADSL charges we have to pay
                for our computers.

                Carol Lee