Re: 1901 Canada Census Index

  • Ian Holmes
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 11, 2004
      Hello Freda,

      Thank you for your congratulations and your question about Internet
      access. I apologize for taking so long to respond.

      We expect to sell our index books to only a few private individuals and
      I'm not sure which AFHS members have bought them (the prices range from
      $10 to $48 plus shipping but no GST). Many public and Society libraries
      across Canada and elsewhere have bought copies. They are available in
      all the 11 AGS branch libraries (Medicine Hat to Peace River, Lethbridge
      to Fort McMurray and cities and towns in between). In Calgary they are
      at the Downtown Public Library, the Glenbow and the AFHS library, but
      I'm not sure if the public library branches have them on the shelf.

      Some 60,00 of the entries (the Alberta District No.202) are available on
      the AGS Edmonton Branch web site:

      http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html

      and we will be exploring the possibility of making more entries
      accessible on Internet since one of the prime objectives of our society
      is to make our resources available to researchers. We sell the books on
      a "cost-recovery" basis and make no significant profit. It takes some
      years to recoup the printing cost.

      Finally we have a great team of volunteers who will look up information
      on request.

      Ian Holmes