Re: 1901 English Census

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 6, 2002
      Voucher Suppliers - Canada

      If no supplier is listed for your area, please contact the helpdesk.

      State Supplier Name & Address Telephone Number
      Ottawa British Isles Family History Society of Greater Ottawa, PO Box 38026, Ottawa, Ontario, K2C
      3YY, Canada
      email:rimmer@... +613-591-5538

      Hello Rene,

      I just checked the PRO site and got this address in Ottawa for vouchers. Thanks a lot for the info.
      I guess it always helps to read everything!!

      Carol Lylyk
      Calgary
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 6, 2002
        Hello:

        I have spent all evening linking families together after receiving a tip
        from a friend in England. He said:

        "One thing I did discover, if you copy and paste the whole line
        of the search results into Word you also copy across the hyperlink for
        the name (turns up as blue underlined in my version/configuration of
        Word 97). If you then right click on this in Word one of the options you
        get is hyperlink - select edit from the next menu and it displays the
        person ID from the census. A lot easier than cutting and pasting from
        the census."

        When I copied and pasted a line of search results into Word the name did
        not appear in blue. After a bit of trial and error I found the following
        worked for me:

        With the Person Result Screen on the desktop I saved it as an .htm file.

        Then I opened the file in Word. The person's name appeared in blue.

        I hovered the cursor over his name and the ID number appeared.

        That was all there was to it.

        I then searched for all known family members and sorted them according
        to ID numbers.

        Next I searched for all males with the same surname in the parish in
        question - keyword Hunslet (Leeds).

        By clicking on each name I was able to connect that person to a family
        with a similar ID number.

        I did a second search for all females.

        The result was:

        Arthur Shooter RIN 2523 aged 51 ID 8345705 Iron Turner Fitter
        Sarah Shooter RIN 2524 aged 51 ID 8345706 - wife
        Thomas Shooter RIN 2529 aged 19 ID 8345707
        Charles Shooter RIN 2530 aged 16 ID 8345708 Mechanic Fitter Apprentice
        Eliza Shooter RIN ____ aged 13 ID 8345709 - not previously known
        Horrace Shooter RIN ____ aged 9 ID 8345710 - not previously known

        Arthur Shooter RIN 2520 aged 25 ID 28044253 Iron Fettler and Barman -
        Son of Arthur Sr
        Emma Shooter RIN 2522 aged 23 ID 28044254 - wife
        Annie Shooter RIN ____ aged 3 ID 28044255 - not previously known

        Albert Shooter RIN 2528 aged 23 ID 28028548 Newspaper Packer -
        Son of Arthur Sr
        Lucy Shooter RIN ____ aged 23 ID 28028549 - wife? - not previously known

        Herbert Shooter RIN ____ aged 21 ID 8347894 - not known - Slater
        Emmie Shooter RIN ____ aged 22 ID 8347895 born Lincoln - not known
        Samul Shooter RIN ____ aged 11M ID 8347896 - not previously known

        I still haven't paid any money but I am going to open a voucher
        tomorrow! I have found lots of names in the index and now I need further
        information about them. I have a feeling my two vouchers will not last
        long.

        Incidentally, several people have asked me what it costs to get
        information online. The charges are:

        Details for individual person 50p
        Details for all members of the household 50p
        Image of census page .75

        Rene
      • Rene
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 20, 2002
          Hello:

          The undernoted e-mail has just come in via the UK-1901-CENSUS mailing
          list.

          Those members who have received my "Tips" file will already have a note
          of the URL quoted. John Hanson's link is new.

          Rene Dussome

          From: John Hanson <john.hanson@...>

          Many of you will know of Jeanne Bunting's and my own interest in census
          errors. Well a few days ago and thanks to Stephen Miller's program we
          visited Kew and checked out all of the DITTO's and DO's

          The results of this are now available online via a web page hosted by
          Graham Ledbrook. It is intended to add more errors of a similar nature
          as time passes.

          The URL of Graham's site is
          http://www.web-community.co.uk/census/news.html
          and you will find a link there to our Census Transcription Errors page.
          If you think of some or have some that you would like added please let
          me know.

          The DITTO page has the full details of each family and we have also
          corrected all the other errors at the same time. For those that are
          interested the surnames involved are:-

          BOON
          BOYES
          BRUCKSHAW
          COX
          CRADDOCK
          EVERITT
          GODDARD
          GOSWELL
          HOWARTH
          JOHNS
          LEECHMAN
          MARTIN
          MIDDLEWEEK (A lovely one this)
          MILLS
          PICCOLLO
          PITT
          POULTNEY
          SAUNDERS JR
          STEPHENS
          TUOHY
          WRIGHT
          ZIMMERMAN

          Hopefully this will help someone

          Regards
          John Hanson
          Member of the Society of Genealogists (www.sog.org.uk)
          Member of the Guild of One Name Studies (www.one-name.org)
        • Rene
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 21, 2002
            Hello:

            If you have accessed the 1901 census you may have found that there are
            many transcription errors.

            This is a message I received from a friend in England:

            > I have been using the 1901 census for about 3 months now. It was available in London at the FRC before it went onto the web temporarily. I filled in that many mistake forms in my alotted hour in London one day that the supervisor came to see me. He asked if I would like to see the representative of the contracting firm who did the work on the census to see if I could get a refund on my voucher money. I waited and spoke to the rep but he said that because I had seen what I wanted he could not make any refund, so I enquired about a refund for time wasted searching and he just laughed at me and walked away. I have not finished yet; every time I go to London I will fill the same fault forms in until I get some response or they correct the mistakes.

            (Rene: I understand that all the errors are going to be corrected at a
            later date. I believe that January 2003 was mentioned.)

            he replied:

            > Lots of misspellings i.e. 50% of the Grunwells are down as Greenwells; husband's and wife's names spelt differently, even though the wife's name had "do" at the side of it. One person was shown as born in Ecclesfield, and the image clearly stated born in Germany. All these add up to time wasted trying to hunt for people.

            We have to be very inventive when searching for some of our missing
            ancestors.

            Initially, I could not find my first husband's family. The last name was
            Tunstall and when I eventually found it I discovered that it had been
            transcribed as Timstall. There is no way I could have found that using a
            wildcard because a wildcard must be preceded by at least two characters.

            In hindsight I suppose I could have tried Ta* Te* Ti* To* and Tu* but
            this type of search did not occur to me.

            The way I found the family in the end was to do a search using the given
            name only, not the surname. To do this you have to show given name, sex,
            age (you can use +/-), and place of birth.

            Best of luck with your searches!

            Rene Dussome
          • Rene
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
              Hi:

              I sent the following message on September 28th:

              > There have been lots of messages coming through the UK-1901-CENSUS
              mailing list recently about transcription errors. This one arrived this
              morning from:

              John Holden <john.holden3@...>

              " . . . as a result of the problems with the 1901, the PRO will
              not now put any more censuses on line. They have instead, licensed the
              whole lot to Ancestry.com as a way of fulfilling their promise. That has
              to be an improvement doesn't it? Access virtually restricted to those
              with credit cards. No free index. Probably no facility to correct
              transcription errors."

              It has been pointed out to me that people reading this message may think
              it refers to the 1901 census. It does not. The 1901 census is online and
              we hope it will stay on line. The PRO and Qinetiq need to make lots of
              money to recoup their investment.

              Please read the second line of John Holden's message carefully; ". . .
              any more censuses . . ." are the operative words.

              The PRO had promised to put the censuses for 1841 to 1891 online in a
              similar fashion to the 1901 census. It now appears that because of all
              the transcription errors (and the resulting complaints) they have
              decided not to proceed with online versions for earlier censuses.
              Instead, John Holden says they have licensed the project to
              Ancestry.com.

              No official announcement has been made to this effect.

              * * *

              Users of the 1901 online census will know that it is not available from
              late Saturday evening to Monday morning (GMT). Yesterday I tried to get
              in "through the back door" (using the https address) but it appears that
              the door has been closed!

              Rene Dussome
            • John Doyle
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
                Dear Rene,

                All I can say is I am glad I have been able to find 99% of my people in the
                1901 census index without TOO much trouble, although errors abound.

                Glad too that the other censuses are available on film. I have availed
                myself of most of the ones that apply to my people.

                I think the PRO got into something too big for them to handle. I don't see
                how they are going to make that much money from the 1901, as the index, if
                you know how to fiddle with it, gives you just about everything you need to
                find out. They should have contacted the "experts". That would have cost
                them nothing, or am I wrong on that?

                Judith Doyle, the appalled

                > I sent the following message on September 28th:
                >
                > > There have been lots of messages coming through the UK-1901-CENSUS
                > mailing list recently about transcription errors. This one arrived this
                > morning from:
                >
                > John Holden <john.holden3@...>
                >
                > " . . . as a result of the problems with the 1901, the PRO will
                > not now put any more censuses on line. They have instead, licensed the
                > whole lot to Ancestry.com as a way of fulfilling their promise. That has
                > to be an improvement doesn't it? Access virtually restricted to those
                > with credit cards. No free index. Probably no facility to correct
                > transcription errors."
                >
                > It has been pointed out to me that people reading this message may think
                > it refers to the 1901 census. It does not. The 1901 census is online and
                > we hope it will stay on line. The PRO and Qinetiq need to make lots of
                > money to recoup their investment.
                >
                > Please read the second line of John Holden's message carefully; ". . .
                > any more censuses . . ." are the operative words.
                >
                > The PRO had promised to put the censuses for 1841 to 1891 online in a
                > similar fashion to the 1901 census. It now appears that because of all
                > the transcription errors (and the resulting complaints) they have
                > decided not to proceed with online versions for earlier censuses.
                > Instead, John Holden says they have licensed the project to
                > Ancestry.com.
                >
                > No official announcement has been made to this effect.
                >
                > * * *
                >
                > Users of the 1901 online census will know that it is not available from
                > late Saturday evening to Monday morning (GMT). Yesterday I tried to get
                > in "through the back door" (using the https address) but it appears that
                > the door has been closed!
                >
                > Rene Dussome
                > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                > http://www.family-roots.ca

              • Carol Lee
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2002
                  Perhaps it may help to know that all of the Ancestry.com site is available
                  at the Family History Centre. It costs $1.00/hr to use the internet.
                  Ancestry has made its complete site available to all Family History Centres
                  at no cost to the Centres. The $1.00 is for the ADSL charges we have to pay
                  for our computers.

                  Carol Lee