RE: Sharing Pictures on the web

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
      My pattern is to resize the DIMENSIONS of photos to 300 px wide and the
      software tool will PROPORTIONATELY ensure that the height dimensions come
      along correction. If yiou have a 'portrait-oriented' image, set the width
      to about 250 and the height will come along as well. When you position them
      on a webpage, you can centre or otherwise place them so that the different
      dimensions work out attractively.

      My reasoning for this width is that you can position two of the
      left-to-right and achieve a max of 600 px. That's roughly what's printable
      on a portrait-oriented sheet of 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper (I can speak to
      the html boxing of them directly when you're ready, Wayne).

      Then, you want to ensure that they are in jpg format -- the best for
      portraying in a relatively small filesize (in terms of kilobytes) for quick
      ONCE from your original to the jpg. Each time you click on "save" when the
      object is going to jpg format, you're reducting the crispness. Many
      softwares are adjustable on this point, but I think they tend to reduce the
      quality by about 10% each save.

      So, what you should do is take an original (e.g. image1.tif),
      a) resize it
      b) save it as *.jpg with a new name (image1a.jpg)

      Then, in case you don't like the result you can still work with the original
      and impose different resizing/editing exercises on it, and save it as
      image1b.jpg, image1c.jpg, etc .... until you like the result. You may be
      fortuantely and like the results immediately, but this keeps your original

      By reducing the dimensions of your image, by saving it from a tif to a jpg
      format, you'll automatically be reducing it's filesize (kilobytes). If the
      image is still slow to load/filesize is large, you can adjust the settings
      of your jpg conversion tool to be 80% or 70% or .... of the original. For
      every percentage of clarity you lose, you also reduce a certain amount of

      There is also the option of modifying the 'resolution' - but that (I think)
      is generally established when you obtain the original image.

      But ... I'm betting that by the time you RESIZE, and SAVE AS JPG .... the
      filesizes will be acceptable.

      Hope this is both clear and helpful.

      P.S. there are two other formats that can be viewed well in browsers: gif
      (generally only used for line drawings or when you want portions of a
      background image to 'pass through' a transparent portion of your image), and
      png (only used very rarely and many tools cannot make png files). Don't use
      TIF or BMP. They can be enormous filesizes and can crash browsers.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel