Re: Sharing Pictures on the web

  • Frank Reaume
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
      Hi Wayne,

      I think that the first thing you have to do with all your digital pictures
      before you upload any of them to a website is to "RESIZE" each one of them.
      Resizing them to be in the range of about 30 kilobytes to 50 or 60 kilobytes
      is preferable. It's not only easier for you to upload them but is also
      easier for other people to view and download them.

      You could get webspace from a lot of different web servers and then only
      give the address of the website to your family members for them to view
      them.

      One website that you might try is this one:
      http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=30dntc

      I still have some webspace with them and it is still active. They should be
      able to give you 'some' free webspace and even Telus, your service provider
      might also give you some free webspace.

      Good luck.

      Frank.

      Frank Reaume, Torchbearer
      260 Bracewood Rd SW
      Calgary AB T2W 3C1
      Home phone: 403-238-2820
      Work Phone: 403-777-8320
      Pager: 403-515-9321
      Email: frankreaume@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
        My pattern is to resize the DIMENSIONS of photos to 300 px wide and the
        software tool will PROPORTIONATELY ensure that the height dimensions come
        along correction. If yiou have a 'portrait-oriented' image, set the width
        to about 250 and the height will come along as well. When you position them
        on a webpage, you can centre or otherwise place them so that the different
        dimensions work out attractively.

        My reasoning for this width is that you can position two of the
        left-to-right and achieve a max of 600 px. That's roughly what's printable
        on a portrait-oriented sheet of 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper (I can speak to
        the html boxing of them directly when you're ready, Wayne).

        Then, you want to ensure that they are in jpg format -- the best for
        portraying in a relatively small filesize (in terms of kilobytes) for quick
        ONCE from your original to the jpg. Each time you click on "save" when the
        object is going to jpg format, you're reducting the crispness. Many
        softwares are adjustable on this point, but I think they tend to reduce the
        quality by about 10% each save.

        So, what you should do is take an original (e.g. image1.tif),
        a) resize it
        b) save it as *.jpg with a new name (image1a.jpg)

        Then, in case you don't like the result you can still work with the original
        and impose different resizing/editing exercises on it, and save it as
        image1b.jpg, image1c.jpg, etc .... until you like the result. You may be
        fortuantely and like the results immediately, but this keeps your original
        intact.

        By reducing the dimensions of your image, by saving it from a tif to a jpg
        format, you'll automatically be reducing it's filesize (kilobytes). If the
        image is still slow to load/filesize is large, you can adjust the settings
        of your jpg conversion tool to be 80% or 70% or .... of the original. For
        every percentage of clarity you lose, you also reduce a certain amount of
        filesize.

        There is also the option of modifying the 'resolution' - but that (I think)
        is generally established when you obtain the original image.

        But ... I'm betting that by the time you RESIZE, and SAVE AS JPG .... the
        filesizes will be acceptable.

        Hope this is both clear and helpful.

        P.S. there are two other formats that can be viewed well in browsers: gif
        (generally only used for line drawings or when you want portions of a
        background image to 'pass through' a transparent portion of your image), and
        png (only used very rarely and many tools cannot make png files). Don't use
        TIF or BMP. They can be enormous filesizes and can crash browsers.

        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel
        judith@...