Sharing Pictures on the web

  • Wayne Fuller
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
      Has anyone had experience with putting pictures on the web to be shares with
      the family ... what are the best options .. I took about 200 pictures at a
      family reunion in Denmark with a digital camera ... the file has about
      220mb.

      Would appreciate anyone's experience and cost.

      Wayne Fuller

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Frank Reaume
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
        Hi Wayne,

        I think that the first thing you have to do with all your digital pictures
        before you upload any of them to a website is to "RESIZE" each one of them.
        Resizing them to be in the range of about 30 kilobytes to 50 or 60 kilobytes
        is preferable. It's not only easier for you to upload them but is also
        easier for other people to view and download them.

        You could get webspace from a lot of different web servers and then only
        give the address of the website to your family members for them to view
        them.

        One website that you might try is this one:
        http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=30dntc

        I still have some webspace with them and it is still active. They should be
        able to give you 'some' free webspace and even Telus, your service provider
        might also give you some free webspace.

        Good luck.

        Frank.

        Frank Reaume, Torchbearer
        260 Bracewood Rd SW
        Calgary AB T2W 3C1
        Home phone: 403-238-2820
        Work Phone: 403-777-8320
        Pager: 403-515-9321
        Email: frankreaume@...

        > Has anyone had experience with putting pictures on the web to be shares
        with
        > the family ... what are the best options .. I took about 200 pictures at
        > family reunion in Denmark with a digital camera ... the file has about
        > 220mb.
        >
        > Would appreciate anyone's experience and cost.
        >
        > Wayne Fuller

      • Judith Rempel
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
          My pattern is to resize the DIMENSIONS of photos to 300 px wide and the
          software tool will PROPORTIONATELY ensure that the height dimensions come
          along correction. If yiou have a 'portrait-oriented' image, set the width
          to about 250 and the height will come along as well. When you position them
          on a webpage, you can centre or otherwise place them so that the different
          dimensions work out attractively.

          My reasoning for this width is that you can position two of the
          left-to-right and achieve a max of 600 px. That's roughly what's printable
          on a portrait-oriented sheet of 8 1/2 x 11" piece of paper (I can speak to
          the html boxing of them directly when you're ready, Wayne).

          Then, you want to ensure that they are in jpg format -- the best for
          portraying in a relatively small filesize (in terms of kilobytes) for quick
          ONCE from your original to the jpg. Each time you click on "save" when the
          object is going to jpg format, you're reducting the crispness. Many
          softwares are adjustable on this point, but I think they tend to reduce the
          quality by about 10% each save.

          So, what you should do is take an original (e.g. image1.tif),
          a) resize it
          b) save it as *.jpg with a new name (image1a.jpg)

          Then, in case you don't like the result you can still work with the original
          and impose different resizing/editing exercises on it, and save it as
          image1b.jpg, image1c.jpg, etc .... until you like the result. You may be
          fortuantely and like the results immediately, but this keeps your original
          intact.

          By reducing the dimensions of your image, by saving it from a tif to a jpg
          format, you'll automatically be reducing it's filesize (kilobytes). If the
          image is still slow to load/filesize is large, you can adjust the settings
          of your jpg conversion tool to be 80% or 70% or .... of the original. For
          every percentage of clarity you lose, you also reduce a certain amount of
          filesize.

          There is also the option of modifying the 'resolution' - but that (I think)
          is generally established when you obtain the original image.

          But ... I'm betting that by the time you RESIZE, and SAVE AS JPG .... the
          filesizes will be acceptable.

          Hope this is both clear and helpful.

          P.S. there are two other formats that can be viewed well in browsers: gif
          (generally only used for line drawings or when you want portions of a
          background image to 'pass through' a transparent portion of your image), and
          png (only used very rarely and many tools cannot make png files). Don't use
          TIF or BMP. They can be enormous filesizes and can crash browsers.

          In Kinship,
          Judith Rempel
          judith@...