Re: Computer Textbook

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      > Does anyone know if the book "Computer Genealogy: A Guide to Research
      > through High Technology" by Paul Andereck and Richard Pence 296 pages,
      paper
      > $12.95 US from Ancestry.com would be a good reference for a small library?

      The book is probably pretty old. Andereck was the editor of Genealogical
      Computing many years ago and is credited for suggesting the principles
      behind GEDCOM. Richard Pence was the moderator of the Genealogy echo on the
      old Fidonet. Richard has been pretty quiet for the past few years and is
      not in the best of health. (at least he wasn't last time I saw him). Try
      to find out when the book was first published. I suspect it would be in the
      early 90s and is probably out of date now.

      Cheers

      Bill

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
        Andereck, Paul A. and Richard A. Pence, Computer Genealogy: A Guide to
        Research Through High Technology, Salt Lake City, Ancestry, Inc., 1985.

        There was a revised edition in 1991 -
        Andereck, Paul; Pence, Richard Computer Genealogy : A Guide to Research
        Through High Technology
        Salt Lake City: Ancestry Incorporated, 1991.

        I thought the plan was to update it every 10 years but I have not seen or
        heard of a 2001 edition nor of any activity by the authors since. They were
        computer and genealogy enthusiasts who started one of the first bulletin
        boards but maybe with all the changes in the Internet and the number of
        others writing on this topic, they decided not to do another one.

        A bio of Richard Pence can be found at
        http://www.pipeline.com/~richardpence/family.htm but I cannot find out what
        happened to Andereck.

        Neither the UofC Library nor CPL seem to have either edition of this book. I
        long since discarded my copy of original edition in favour of more recent
        guides. I certainly would not advise obtaining the original edition but
        cannot comment on the 1991 - other than that this edition is over ten years
        old.

        à bientôt,

        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

        Does anyone know if the book "Computer Genealogy: A Guide to Research
        through High Technology" by Paul Andereck and Richard Pence 296 pages, paper
        $12.95 US from Ancestry.com would be a good reference for a small library?

        Thanks for your help!

        Mabel Kiessling