Computer Textbook

  • Mabel Kiessling
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
      Does anyone know if the book "Computer Genealogy: A Guide to Research
      through High Technology" by Paul Andereck and Richard Pence 296 pages, paper
      $12.95 US from Ancestry.com would be a good reference for a small library?

      Thanks for your help!

      Mabel Kiessling

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Bill Mumford
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
        > Does anyone know if the book "Computer Genealogy: A Guide to Research
        > through High Technology" by Paul Andereck and Richard Pence 296 pages,
        paper
        > $12.95 US from Ancestry.com would be a good reference for a small library?

        The book is probably pretty old. Andereck was the editor of Genealogical
        Computing many years ago and is credited for suggesting the principles
        behind GEDCOM. Richard Pence was the moderator of the Genealogy echo on the
        old Fidonet. Richard has been pretty quiet for the past few years and is
        not in the best of health. (at least he wasn't last time I saw him). Try
        to find out when the book was first published. I suspect it would be in the
        early 90s and is probably out of date now.

        Cheers

        Bill

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2004
          Andereck, Paul A. and Richard A. Pence, Computer Genealogy: A Guide to
          Research Through High Technology, Salt Lake City, Ancestry, Inc., 1985.

          There was a revised edition in 1991 -
          Andereck, Paul; Pence, Richard Computer Genealogy : A Guide to Research
          Through High Technology
          Salt Lake City: Ancestry Incorporated, 1991.

          I thought the plan was to update it every 10 years but I have not seen or
          heard of a 2001 edition nor of any activity by the authors since. They were
          computer and genealogy enthusiasts who started one of the first bulletin
          boards but maybe with all the changes in the Internet and the number of
          others writing on this topic, they decided not to do another one.

          A bio of Richard Pence can be found at
          http://www.pipeline.com/~richardpence/family.htm but I cannot find out what
          happened to Andereck.

          Neither the UofC Library nor CPL seem to have either edition of this book. I
          long since discarded my copy of original edition in favour of more recent
          guides. I certainly would not advise obtaining the original edition but
          cannot comment on the 1991 - other than that this edition is over ten years
          old.

          à bientôt,

          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564