Re: 1901 Canada Census Index

  • Freda
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
      Congratulations to all volunteers Ian. This is a big job. I do have one
      question though - is there an internet accessible index or are we required
      to buy? I am relatively new to partaking in genealogical events so find that
      the best thing to do is ask questions.
      Freda Stewart
      Calgary
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        Hi Ian,

        As I have pointed out in previous conversations with various people from
        AFHS, our projects are significantly different. Your project is
        primarily a printed index while ours is an online index, yours covers
        the territories while ours is national. Our goal was to produce an
        online index that had no costs to use. And because of the online nature
        of our index and the availability of the images of the originals at the
        archives users can access the image of the original document with just a
        click on a link, and that changes the priorities of our project relative
        to a printed index. I don't think it would serve the interests of users
        to leave holes in our index where local areas have been done by someone
        else, especially when that work is not available online in a similar
        format. A lot of people like to have a physical copy so you have your
        niche, and we have ours.

        Cheers,
        Lindsay

        Ian Holmes wrote:

        >For information:
        >
        >The Edmonton Branch of the Alberta Genealogical Society has COMPLETED a
        >seven-and-a-half year project indexing the 1901 Canada Census for the
        >whole area which became the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan (in
        >1905). 146,000 names have been extracted and tabulated. The final
        >printed volume is at the printer and will be ready to ship before the
        >end of February.
        >
        >The five volumes include:
        >
        >District 202 - Alberta (Edmonton, Strathcona, Calgary , Lethbridge etc.)
        >
        >District 203 - Assiniboia East (SE corner of Saskatchewan)
        >
        >District 204 - Assiniboia West (Medicine Hat to Regina)
        >
        >District 205 - (Saskatoon, Prince Alberta and Central Saskatchewan)
        >
        >District 206 (part) - Unorganized Territory of Athabasca (Grande
        >Prairie, Fort Chipewyan, Isle-a-la-Crosse, Pelican Narrows)
        >
        >The District 202 index is available on the Edmonton Branch website.
        >
        >http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html
        >
        >We acknowledge that a more recent index/finding aid is being developed
        >on Internet through automatedgenealogy.com. Their work overlaps and
        >duplicates some of the effort done by our dedicated volunteers.
        >
        >In some respects, the purpose and intent of the AFHS Canadian
        >Genealogical Projects Registry to avoid such duplication has not been
        >honoured. However the users will now have two sources available and the
        >AGS index has had the benefit of a team effort to decipher and proof
        >difficult names and to cross check them against alternative sources. We
        >have also included the country/province of birth to assist searchers
        >make the connection to the original records.
        >
        >Ian Holmes

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Ian Holmes
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 11, 2004
          Hello Freda,

          Thank you for your congratulations and your question about Internet
          access. I apologize for taking so long to respond.

          We expect to sell our index books to only a few private individuals and
          I'm not sure which AFHS members have bought them (the prices range from
          $10 to $48 plus shipping but no GST). Many public and Society libraries
          across Canada and elsewhere have bought copies. They are available in
          all the 11 AGS branch libraries (Medicine Hat to Peace River, Lethbridge
          to Fort McMurray and cities and towns in between). In Calgary they are
          at the Downtown Public Library, the Glenbow and the AFHS library, but
          I'm not sure if the public library branches have them on the shelf.

          Some 60,00 of the entries (the Alberta District No.202) are available on
          the AGS Edmonton Branch web site:

          http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html

          and we will be exploring the possibility of making more entries
          accessible on Internet since one of the prime objectives of our society
          is to make our resources available to researchers. We sell the books on
          a "cost-recovery" basis and make no significant profit. It takes some
          years to recoup the printing cost.

          Finally we have a great team of volunteers who will look up information
          on request.

          Ian Holmes