RE: 1901 Canada Census Index

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hi Ian,

      Put a link in the Canadian Genealogical Projects Registry

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Vice Chair
      AFHS Webster
      Editor Chinook

      Family website
      http://www.rumbolt.com

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Freda
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
        Congratulations to all volunteers Ian. This is a big job. I do have one
        question though - is there an internet accessible index or are we required
        to buy? I am relatively new to partaking in genealogical events so find that
        the best thing to do is ask questions.
        Freda Stewart
        Calgary
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
          Hi Ian,

          As I have pointed out in previous conversations with various people from
          AFHS, our projects are significantly different. Your project is
          primarily a printed index while ours is an online index, yours covers
          the territories while ours is national. Our goal was to produce an
          online index that had no costs to use. And because of the online nature
          of our index and the availability of the images of the originals at the
          archives users can access the image of the original document with just a
          click on a link, and that changes the priorities of our project relative
          to a printed index. I don't think it would serve the interests of users
          to leave holes in our index where local areas have been done by someone
          else, especially when that work is not available online in a similar
          format. A lot of people like to have a physical copy so you have your
          niche, and we have ours.

          Cheers,
          Lindsay

          Ian Holmes wrote:

          >For information:
          >
          >The Edmonton Branch of the Alberta Genealogical Society has COMPLETED a
          >seven-and-a-half year project indexing the 1901 Canada Census for the
          >whole area which became the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan (in
          >1905). 146,000 names have been extracted and tabulated. The final
          >printed volume is at the printer and will be ready to ship before the
          >end of February.
          >
          >The five volumes include:
          >
          >District 202 - Alberta (Edmonton, Strathcona, Calgary , Lethbridge etc.)
          >
          >District 203 - Assiniboia East (SE corner of Saskatchewan)
          >
          >District 204 - Assiniboia West (Medicine Hat to Regina)
          >
          >District 205 - (Saskatoon, Prince Alberta and Central Saskatchewan)
          >
          >District 206 (part) - Unorganized Territory of Athabasca (Grande
          >Prairie, Fort Chipewyan, Isle-a-la-Crosse, Pelican Narrows)
          >
          >The District 202 index is available on the Edmonton Branch website.
          >
          >http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html
          >
          >We acknowledge that a more recent index/finding aid is being developed
          >on Internet through automatedgenealogy.com. Their work overlaps and
          >duplicates some of the effort done by our dedicated volunteers.
          >
          >In some respects, the purpose and intent of the AFHS Canadian
          >Genealogical Projects Registry to avoid such duplication has not been
          >honoured. However the users will now have two sources available and the
          >AGS index has had the benefit of a team effort to decipher and proof
          >difficult names and to cross check them against alternative sources. We
          >have also included the country/province of birth to assist searchers
          >make the connection to the original records.
          >
          >Ian Holmes

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Ian Holmes
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 11, 2004
            Hello Freda,

            Thank you for your congratulations and your question about Internet
            access. I apologize for taking so long to respond.

            We expect to sell our index books to only a few private individuals and
            I'm not sure which AFHS members have bought them (the prices range from
            $10 to $48 plus shipping but no GST). Many public and Society libraries
            across Canada and elsewhere have bought copies. They are available in
            all the 11 AGS branch libraries (Medicine Hat to Peace River, Lethbridge
            to Fort McMurray and cities and towns in between). In Calgary they are
            at the Downtown Public Library, the Glenbow and the AFHS library, but
            I'm not sure if the public library branches have them on the shelf.

            Some 60,00 of the entries (the Alberta District No.202) are available on
            the AGS Edmonton Branch web site:

            http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html

            and we will be exploring the possibility of making more entries
            accessible on Internet since one of the prime objectives of our society
            is to make our resources available to researchers. We sell the books on
            a "cost-recovery" basis and make no significant profit. It takes some
            years to recoup the printing cost.

            Finally we have a great team of volunteers who will look up information
            on request.

            Ian Holmes