RE: 1901 Canada Census Index

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Congratulations, Ian. This is a significant achievement. I'm going to
      check my own shelf to see which volumes I'm missing and get an order in for
      the needed ones.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel
      judith@...

      and

      1906@...
      1906 Census Transcription Centre
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/
      Alberta Family Histories Society

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Gordon Lane
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        Hi Ian,

        Put a link in the Canadian Genealogical Projects Registry

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Vice Chair
        AFHS Webster
        Editor Chinook

        Family website
        http://www.rumbolt.com

      • Freda
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
          Congratulations to all volunteers Ian. This is a big job. I do have one
          question though - is there an internet accessible index or are we required
          to buy? I am relatively new to partaking in genealogical events so find that
          the best thing to do is ask questions.
          Freda Stewart
          Calgary
          > The Edmonton Branch of the Alberta Genealogical Society has COMPLETED a
          > seven-and-a-half year project indexing the 1901 Canada Census for the
          > whole area which became the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan (in
          > 1905). 146,000 names have been extracted and tabulated. The final
          > printed volume is at the printer and will be ready to ship before the
          > end of February.
          >
          > The five volumes include:
          >
          > District 202 - Alberta (Edmonton, Strathcona, Calgary , Lethbridge etc.)
          >
          > District 203 - Assiniboia East (SE corner of Saskatchewan)
          >
          > District 204 - Assiniboia West (Medicine Hat to Regina)
          >
          > District 205 - (Saskatoon, Prince Alberta and Central Saskatchewan)
          >
          > District 206 (part) - Unorganized Territory of Athabasca (Grande
          > Prairie, Fort Chipewyan, Isle-a-la-Crosse, Pelican Narrows)
          >
          > The District 202 index is available on the Edmonton Branch website.
          >
          > http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html
          >
          > We acknowledge that a more recent index/finding aid is being developed
          > on Internet through automatedgenealogy.com. Their work overlaps and
          > duplicates some of the effort done by our dedicated volunteers.
          >
          > In some respects, the purpose and intent of the AFHS Canadian
          > Genealogical Projects Registry to avoid such duplication has not been
          > honoured. However the users will now have two sources available and the
          > AGS index has had the benefit of a team effort to decipher and proof
          > difficult names and to cross check them against alternative sources. We
          > have also included the country/province of birth to assist searchers
          > make the connection to the original records.
          >
          > Ian Holmes

        • Lindsay Patten
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
            Hi Ian,

            As I have pointed out in previous conversations with various people from
            AFHS, our projects are significantly different. Your project is
            primarily a printed index while ours is an online index, yours covers
            the territories while ours is national. Our goal was to produce an
            online index that had no costs to use. And because of the online nature
            of our index and the availability of the images of the originals at the
            archives users can access the image of the original document with just a
            click on a link, and that changes the priorities of our project relative
            to a printed index. I don't think it would serve the interests of users
            to leave holes in our index where local areas have been done by someone
            else, especially when that work is not available online in a similar
            format. A lot of people like to have a physical copy so you have your
            niche, and we have ours.

            Cheers,
            Lindsay

            Ian Holmes wrote:

            >For information:
            >
            >The Edmonton Branch of the Alberta Genealogical Society has COMPLETED a
            >seven-and-a-half year project indexing the 1901 Canada Census for the
            >whole area which became the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan (in
            >1905). 146,000 names have been extracted and tabulated. The final
            >printed volume is at the printer and will be ready to ship before the
            >end of February.
            >
            >The five volumes include:
            >
            >District 202 - Alberta (Edmonton, Strathcona, Calgary , Lethbridge etc.)
            >
            >District 203 - Assiniboia East (SE corner of Saskatchewan)
            >
            >District 204 - Assiniboia West (Medicine Hat to Regina)
            >
            >District 205 - (Saskatoon, Prince Alberta and Central Saskatchewan)
            >
            >District 206 (part) - Unorganized Territory of Athabasca (Grande
            >Prairie, Fort Chipewyan, Isle-a-la-Crosse, Pelican Narrows)
            >
            >The District 202 index is available on the Edmonton Branch website.
            >
            >http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html
            >
            >We acknowledge that a more recent index/finding aid is being developed
            >on Internet through automatedgenealogy.com. Their work overlaps and
            >duplicates some of the effort done by our dedicated volunteers.
            >
            >In some respects, the purpose and intent of the AFHS Canadian
            >Genealogical Projects Registry to avoid such duplication has not been
            >honoured. However the users will now have two sources available and the
            >AGS index has had the benefit of a team effort to decipher and proof
            >difficult names and to cross check them against alternative sources. We
            >have also included the country/province of birth to assist searchers
            >make the connection to the original records.
            >
            >Ian Holmes

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Ian Holmes
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2004
              Hello Freda,

              Thank you for your congratulations and your question about Internet
              access. I apologize for taking so long to respond.

              We expect to sell our index books to only a few private individuals and
              I'm not sure which AFHS members have bought them (the prices range from
              $10 to $48 plus shipping but no GST). Many public and Society libraries
              across Canada and elsewhere have bought copies. They are available in
              all the 11 AGS branch libraries (Medicine Hat to Peace River, Lethbridge
              to Fort McMurray and cities and towns in between). In Calgary they are
              at the Downtown Public Library, the Glenbow and the AFHS library, but
              I'm not sure if the public library branches have them on the shelf.

              Some 60,00 of the entries (the Alberta District No.202) are available on
              the AGS Edmonton Branch web site:

              http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html

              and we will be exploring the possibility of making more entries
              accessible on Internet since one of the prime objectives of our society
              is to make our resources available to researchers. We sell the books on
              a "cost-recovery" basis and make no significant profit. It takes some
              years to recoup the printing cost.

              Finally we have a great team of volunteers who will look up information
              on request.

              Ian Holmes