1901 Canada Census Index

  • Ian Holmes
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      For information:

      The Edmonton Branch of the Alberta Genealogical Society has COMPLETED a
      seven-and-a-half year project indexing the 1901 Canada Census for the
      whole area which became the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan (in
      1905). 146,000 names have been extracted and tabulated. The final
      printed volume is at the printer and will be ready to ship before the
      end of February.

      The five volumes include:

      District 202 - Alberta (Edmonton, Strathcona, Calgary , Lethbridge etc.)

      District 203 - Assiniboia East (SE corner of Saskatchewan)

      District 204 - Assiniboia West (Medicine Hat to Regina)

      District 205 - (Saskatoon, Prince Alberta and Central Saskatchewan)

      District 206 (part) - Unorganized Territory of Athabasca (Grande
      Prairie, Fort Chipewyan, Isle-a-la-Crosse, Pelican Narrows)

      The District 202 index is available on the Edmonton Branch website.

      http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html

      We acknowledge that a more recent index/finding aid is being developed
      on Internet through automatedgenealogy.com. Their work overlaps and
      duplicates some of the effort done by our dedicated volunteers.

      In some respects, the purpose and intent of the AFHS Canadian
      Genealogical Projects Registry to avoid such duplication has not been
      honoured. However the users will now have two sources available and the
      AGS index has had the benefit of a team effort to decipher and proof
      difficult names and to cross check them against alternative sources. We
      have also included the country/province of birth to assist searchers
      make the connection to the original records.

      Ian Holmes

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        Congratulations, Ian. This is a significant achievement. I'm going to
        check my own shelf to see which volumes I'm missing and get an order in for
        the needed ones.

        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel
        judith@...

        and

        1906@...
        1906 Census Transcription Centre
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/
        Alberta Family Histories Society

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          Hi Ian,

          Put a link in the Canadian Genealogical Projects Registry

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Vice Chair
          AFHS Webster
          Editor Chinook

          Family website
          http://www.rumbolt.com

        • Freda
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
            Congratulations to all volunteers Ian. This is a big job. I do have one
            question though - is there an internet accessible index or are we required
            to buy? I am relatively new to partaking in genealogical events so find that
            the best thing to do is ask questions.
            Freda Stewart
            Calgary
            > The Edmonton Branch of the Alberta Genealogical Society has COMPLETED a
            > seven-and-a-half year project indexing the 1901 Canada Census for the
            > whole area which became the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan (in
            > 1905). 146,000 names have been extracted and tabulated. The final
            > printed volume is at the printer and will be ready to ship before the
            > end of February.
            >
            > The five volumes include:
            >
            > District 202 - Alberta (Edmonton, Strathcona, Calgary , Lethbridge etc.)
            >
            > District 203 - Assiniboia East (SE corner of Saskatchewan)
            >
            > District 204 - Assiniboia West (Medicine Hat to Regina)
            >
            > District 205 - (Saskatoon, Prince Alberta and Central Saskatchewan)
            >
            > District 206 (part) - Unorganized Territory of Athabasca (Grande
            > Prairie, Fort Chipewyan, Isle-a-la-Crosse, Pelican Narrows)
            >
            > The District 202 index is available on the Edmonton Branch website.
            >
            > http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html
            >
            > We acknowledge that a more recent index/finding aid is being developed
            > on Internet through automatedgenealogy.com. Their work overlaps and
            > duplicates some of the effort done by our dedicated volunteers.
            >
            > In some respects, the purpose and intent of the AFHS Canadian
            > Genealogical Projects Registry to avoid such duplication has not been
            > honoured. However the users will now have two sources available and the
            > AGS index has had the benefit of a team effort to decipher and proof
            > difficult names and to cross check them against alternative sources. We
            > have also included the country/province of birth to assist searchers
            > make the connection to the original records.
            >
            > Ian Holmes

          • Lindsay Patten
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 2, 2004
              Hi Ian,

              As I have pointed out in previous conversations with various people from
              AFHS, our projects are significantly different. Your project is
              primarily a printed index while ours is an online index, yours covers
              the territories while ours is national. Our goal was to produce an
              online index that had no costs to use. And because of the online nature
              of our index and the availability of the images of the originals at the
              archives users can access the image of the original document with just a
              click on a link, and that changes the priorities of our project relative
              to a printed index. I don't think it would serve the interests of users
              to leave holes in our index where local areas have been done by someone
              else, especially when that work is not available online in a similar
              format. A lot of people like to have a physical copy so you have your
              niche, and we have ours.

              Cheers,
              Lindsay

              Ian Holmes wrote:

              >For information:
              >
              >The Edmonton Branch of the Alberta Genealogical Society has COMPLETED a
              >seven-and-a-half year project indexing the 1901 Canada Census for the
              >whole area which became the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan (in
              >1905). 146,000 names have been extracted and tabulated. The final
              >printed volume is at the printer and will be ready to ship before the
              >end of February.
              >
              >The five volumes include:
              >
              >District 202 - Alberta (Edmonton, Strathcona, Calgary , Lethbridge etc.)
              >
              >District 203 - Assiniboia East (SE corner of Saskatchewan)
              >
              >District 204 - Assiniboia West (Medicine Hat to Regina)
              >
              >District 205 - (Saskatoon, Prince Alberta and Central Saskatchewan)
              >
              >District 206 (part) - Unorganized Territory of Athabasca (Grande
              >Prairie, Fort Chipewyan, Isle-a-la-Crosse, Pelican Narrows)
              >
              >The District 202 index is available on the Edmonton Branch website.
              >
              >http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html
              >
              >We acknowledge that a more recent index/finding aid is being developed
              >on Internet through automatedgenealogy.com. Their work overlaps and
              >duplicates some of the effort done by our dedicated volunteers.
              >
              >In some respects, the purpose and intent of the AFHS Canadian
              >Genealogical Projects Registry to avoid such duplication has not been
              >honoured. However the users will now have two sources available and the
              >AGS index has had the benefit of a team effort to decipher and proof
              >difficult names and to cross check them against alternative sources. We
              >have also included the country/province of birth to assist searchers
              >make the connection to the original records.
              >
              >Ian Holmes

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Ian Holmes
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 11, 2004
                Hello Freda,

                Thank you for your congratulations and your question about Internet
                access. I apologize for taking so long to respond.

                We expect to sell our index books to only a few private individuals and
                I'm not sure which AFHS members have bought them (the prices range from
                $10 to $48 plus shipping but no GST). Many public and Society libraries
                across Canada and elsewhere have bought copies. They are available in
                all the 11 AGS branch libraries (Medicine Hat to Peace River, Lethbridge
                to Fort McMurray and cities and towns in between). In Calgary they are
                at the Downtown Public Library, the Glenbow and the AFHS library, but
                I'm not sure if the public library branches have them on the shelf.

                Some 60,00 of the entries (the Alberta District No.202) are available on
                the AGS Edmonton Branch web site:

                http://www.agsedm.edmonton.ab.ca/census.html

                and we will be exploring the possibility of making more entries
                accessible on Internet since one of the prime objectives of our society
                is to make our resources available to researchers. We sell the books on
                a "cost-recovery" basis and make no significant profit. It takes some
                years to recoup the printing cost.

                Finally we have a great team of volunteers who will look up information
                on request.

                Ian Holmes