RE: where is Gainsboro and other questions

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Message
      While Carol & Elizabeth have conveniently answered your specific question, I thought I'd point out the "census" solution to answering the question.

      Go to the 1906 Census Transcription Centre homepage (url below), and click on the District of interest (e.g. District 11 in this case), then using the legal land description shown for the SUBdistrict of interest (#1 in your case) and the map for the district (there's always a link to the National Archvives map at the top of the district pages), you'll be able to match up details.

      If you need additional geographical helps - go to the homepage again, and scroll down until you see "Geoggraphical.... " on the right side.  It will lead you to a page with a number of helpful resources.

      Regarding the need for additional data for any given Canadian locality, use the AFHS's award-winning Canadian Genealogical Projects Registry (www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/) for the most comprehensive (although far from complete) set of links to Canadian data online.  You'll just need to select SASK and DEATH from the pick list and you'll be shown where to find additional information that may be helpful to you.

      If You know of resources not on the CGPR, just advise our webster and he'll add suggested links.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel
      judith@...

      and

      1906@...
      1906 Census Transcription Centre
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        In case it is of interest to Bill Francis and others on this list, the
        AGS Edmonton Branch index to the 1901 Canadian Census shows that there
        were some Beamish family members living in the Gainsboro area and Indian
        Head at in 1901

        BEAMISH
        Ellen (wife) b:ONT/1853 -Gainsbro p10
        Fredrick F (son) b:ONT/1897 -Gainsbro p11
        Henry W (son) b:ONT/1891 -Gainsbro p11
        Lottie M F (empl) b:ENG/1884 -IndianHd p3
        Martha E (dau) b:ONT/1887 -Gainsbro p11
        Mary E (dau) b:ONT/1878 -Gainsbro p10
        Myrtle (wife) b:USA/1882 - Gainsbro p10
        Thomas (head) b:ONT/1847 - Gainsbro p10
        Thomas W (head) b:ONT/1876 -Gainsbro p10
        Violet (dau) b:ONT/1895 - Gainsbro p11
        Wm (son) b:ONT/1879 - Gainsbro p10

        Ian Holmes

        My name is Bill Francis and I have been working on my family tree now
        for about three years. Had to have something to do when I retired. I
        have been searching for a Great Aunt (Maud Beamish) married to William
        Beamish and my info source told me they moved west (From Ontario).

        Thanks to the Alberta Family Histories Web Site I found them on the 1906
        Census of Canada for Saskatchewan District # 11(Assiniboia East)
        Subdistrict # ! Page 14.

        My question is where is Gainsboro, is it in Alberta or Saskatchewan?
        Andis there a cemetery there or a death notice searchable Web site for
        same area. As well as finding Maud I also found her brother Thomas
        Francis . Any help would be appreciated
        Bill Francis
        Cameron, Ont.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          Gainsborough/Gainsboro is in the extreme south east of Saskatchewan.  It is not a very big place.

          Lois Sparling

          Message