Re: where is Gainsboro and other questions

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Message
      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 9:27 AM
      Subject: where is Gainsboro and other questions

      Hi Bill,

      I have forwarded your query onto our mailing list and hopefully someone will answer you

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        Message
        While Carol & Elizabeth have conveniently answered your specific question, I thought I'd point out the "census" solution to answering the question.

        Go to the 1906 Census Transcription Centre homepage (url below), and click on the District of interest (e.g. District 11 in this case), then using the legal land description shown for the SUBdistrict of interest (#1 in your case) and the map for the district (there's always a link to the National Archvives map at the top of the district pages), you'll be able to match up details.

        If you need additional geographical helps - go to the homepage again, and scroll down until you see "Geoggraphical.... " on the right side.  It will lead you to a page with a number of helpful resources.

        Regarding the need for additional data for any given Canadian locality, use the AFHS's award-winning Canadian Genealogical Projects Registry (www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/) for the most comprehensive (although far from complete) set of links to Canadian data online.  You'll just need to select SASK and DEATH from the pick list and you'll be shown where to find additional information that may be helpful to you.

        If You know of resources not on the CGPR, just advise our webster and he'll add suggested links.

        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel
        judith@...

        and

        1906@...
        1906 Census Transcription Centre
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/
        I have forwarded your query onto our mailing list and hopefully someone will answer you

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          In case it is of interest to Bill Francis and others on this list, the
          AGS Edmonton Branch index to the 1901 Canadian Census shows that there
          were some Beamish family members living in the Gainsboro area and Indian
          Head at in 1901

          BEAMISH
          Ellen (wife) b:ONT/1853 -Gainsbro p10
          Fredrick F (son) b:ONT/1897 -Gainsbro p11
          Henry W (son) b:ONT/1891 -Gainsbro p11
          Lottie M F (empl) b:ENG/1884 -IndianHd p3
          Martha E (dau) b:ONT/1887 -Gainsbro p11
          Mary E (dau) b:ONT/1878 -Gainsbro p10
          Myrtle (wife) b:USA/1882 - Gainsbro p10
          Thomas (head) b:ONT/1847 - Gainsbro p10
          Thomas W (head) b:ONT/1876 -Gainsbro p10
          Violet (dau) b:ONT/1895 - Gainsbro p11
          Wm (son) b:ONT/1879 - Gainsbro p10

          Ian Holmes

          My name is Bill Francis and I have been working on my family tree now
          for about three years. Had to have something to do when I retired. I
          have been searching for a Great Aunt (Maud Beamish) married to William
          Beamish and my info source told me they moved west (From Ontario).

          Thanks to the Alberta Family Histories Web Site I found them on the 1906
          Census of Canada for Saskatchewan District # 11(Assiniboia East)
          Subdistrict # ! Page 14.

          My question is where is Gainsboro, is it in Alberta or Saskatchewan?
          Andis there a cemetery there or a death notice searchable Web site for
          same area. As well as finding Maud I also found her brother Thomas
          Francis . Any help would be appreciated
          Bill Francis
          Cameron, Ont.

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Lois Sparling
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
            Gainsborough/Gainsboro is in the extreme south east of Saskatchewan.  It is not a very big place.

            Lois Sparling