Re: where is Gainsboro and other questions

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Towns, like people, often had spelling variations.
      Gainsborough is in the SE corner of Sask near the USA border. I've got
      connections to Beamish family from Ontario if you want to compare files. --
      Elizabeth

      Page
      > 14.
      > My question is where is Gainsboro, is it in Alberta or Saskatchewan?

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Robert Boynton
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        Message
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          Message
          While Carol & Elizabeth have conveniently answered your specific question, I thought I'd point out the "census" solution to answering the question.

          Go to the 1906 Census Transcription Centre homepage (url below), and click on the District of interest (e.g. District 11 in this case), then using the legal land description shown for the SUBdistrict of interest (#1 in your case) and the map for the district (there's always a link to the National Archvives map at the top of the district pages), you'll be able to match up details.

          If you need additional geographical helps - go to the homepage again, and scroll down until you see "Geoggraphical.... " on the right side.  It will lead you to a page with a number of helpful resources.

          Regarding the need for additional data for any given Canadian locality, use the AFHS's award-winning Canadian Genealogical Projects Registry (www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/) for the most comprehensive (although far from complete) set of links to Canadian data online.  You'll just need to select SASK and DEATH from the pick list and you'll be shown where to find additional information that may be helpful to you.

          If You know of resources not on the CGPR, just advise our webster and he'll add suggested links.

          In Kinship,
          Judith Rempel
          judith@...

          and

          1906@...
          1906 Census Transcription Centre
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/
          I have forwarded your query onto our mailing list and hopefully someone will answer you

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
            In case it is of interest to Bill Francis and others on this list, the
            AGS Edmonton Branch index to the 1901 Canadian Census shows that there
            were some Beamish family members living in the Gainsboro area and Indian
            Head at in 1901

            BEAMISH
            Ellen (wife) b:ONT/1853 -Gainsbro p10
            Fredrick F (son) b:ONT/1897 -Gainsbro p11
            Henry W (son) b:ONT/1891 -Gainsbro p11
            Lottie M F (empl) b:ENG/1884 -IndianHd p3
            Martha E (dau) b:ONT/1887 -Gainsbro p11
            Mary E (dau) b:ONT/1878 -Gainsbro p10
            Myrtle (wife) b:USA/1882 - Gainsbro p10
            Thomas (head) b:ONT/1847 - Gainsbro p10
            Thomas W (head) b:ONT/1876 -Gainsbro p10
            Violet (dau) b:ONT/1895 - Gainsbro p11
            Wm (son) b:ONT/1879 - Gainsbro p10

            Ian Holmes

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
              Gainsborough/Gainsboro is in the extreme south east of Saskatchewan.  It is not a very big place.

              Lois Sparling