where is Gainsboro and other questions

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
      Message
      Hi Bill,

      I have forwarded your query onto our mailing list and hopefully someone will answer you

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
        Towns, like people, often had spelling variations.
        Gainsborough is in the SE corner of Sask near the USA border. I've got
        connections to Beamish family from Ontario if you want to compare files. --
        Elizabeth

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Robert Boynton
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
          Message

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
            Message
            While Carol & Elizabeth have conveniently answered your specific question, I thought I'd point out the "census" solution to answering the question.

            Go to the 1906 Census Transcription Centre homepage (url below), and click on the District of interest (e.g. District 11 in this case), then using the legal land description shown for the SUBdistrict of interest (#1 in your case) and the map for the district (there's always a link to the National Archvives map at the top of the district pages), you'll be able to match up details.

            If you need additional geographical helps - go to the homepage again, and scroll down until you see "Geoggraphical.... " on the right side.  It will lead you to a page with a number of helpful resources.

            Regarding the need for additional data for any given Canadian locality, use the AFHS's award-winning Canadian Genealogical Projects Registry (www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/) for the most comprehensive (although far from complete) set of links to Canadian data online.  You'll just need to select SASK and DEATH from the pick list and you'll be shown where to find additional information that may be helpful to you.

            If You know of resources not on the CGPR, just advise our webster and he'll add suggested links.

            In Kinship,
            Judith Rempel
            judith@...

            and

            1906@...
            1906 Census Transcription Centre
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/
            I have forwarded your query onto our mailing list and hopefully someone will answer you

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
              In case it is of interest to Bill Francis and others on this list, the
              AGS Edmonton Branch index to the 1901 Canadian Census shows that there
              were some Beamish family members living in the Gainsboro area and Indian
              Head at in 1901

              BEAMISH
              Ellen (wife) b:ONT/1853 -Gainsbro p10
              Fredrick F (son) b:ONT/1897 -Gainsbro p11
              Henry W (son) b:ONT/1891 -Gainsbro p11
              Lottie M F (empl) b:ENG/1884 -IndianHd p3
              Martha E (dau) b:ONT/1887 -Gainsbro p11
              Mary E (dau) b:ONT/1878 -Gainsbro p10
              Myrtle (wife) b:USA/1882 - Gainsbro p10
              Thomas (head) b:ONT/1847 - Gainsbro p10
              Thomas W (head) b:ONT/1876 -Gainsbro p10
              Violet (dau) b:ONT/1895 - Gainsbro p11
              Wm (son) b:ONT/1879 - Gainsbro p10

              Ian Holmes

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 1, 2004
                Gainsborough/Gainsboro is in the extreme south east of Saskatchewan.  It is not a very big place.

                Lois Sparling