Searching for Pte Bert McDonald or relatives

  • allroundgenie@shaw.ca
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2004

      Good morning everyone.

      I have a co-worker who has been recently processing her late mother's papers and effects.  She has photos, a newspaper article and a medal for a Pte. McDonald.  A photograph of him in uniform, it is black and white, it looks like an RCMP (to me, an Englishwoman) but could be army with the notation "Sergeant McDonald".

      The newspaper article is from the Calgary Herald, dated Wednesday April 19, 1944.

      Alberta and BC Champions meet.

      Army boxers have well conditioned and classy teams for Friday bouts.

      In this article it states "Pte. Bert McDonald, another of the Camrose battlers, is the featherweight open hope.  He was three times Alberta champion and has lost but twice in 41 appearances."

      The medal has an Alberta shield, with Amateur Athletic Uniion of Canada - Championships written around the edge.  Also 'Boxing 1940' which appears to have been engraved on an already prepared medal.

      On the other side : B. McDonald, 126lbs Open, Calgary.

      The medal was from Birks but is in a J Vair Anderson box.

      Sharna believes that he is an old boyfriend of her mothers, it isn't her father.  She feels very strongly that the medal etc. should go back to Bert McDonald and/or his family and has attempted contacting McDonalds by using '411' on the telephone and had no idea how else to look.   I suggested that we put this out to the expertise of the AFHS membership and dist-gen participants.

      We look to you, my friends, do any of you know McDonalds out of Camrose?  How do you suggest she continue her search and where?

      We really hope you can help.

      Thank you.

      Millie Drinkwater

      605-2572.

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Robert Boynton
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
        Millie

        I would call the Alberta Amateur Boxing Association, tell them of your situation and ask if they will help.

        Alberta Amateur Boxing Association, Edmonton, 780-453-8563

        They have a website with nothing on it but an email for their webmaster, perhaps you could try that.

        The most obvious manner in which they could help is to inform you where the records of Alberta's champions are kept.

        I would think they would have certain information which could be useful, such as date of birth, place of birth, club affiliation, list of fight times and records etc.

        My guess is that this Mcdonald was from the Camrose area and not specifically Camrose.  Otherwise, they perhaps had a military training base there during the war and he fought from that base.  If this is the case he might have been from anywhere.

        Boxing championships were common during the war between different bases.

        I would think it best to try for the Alberta Amateur Boxing records first.

        If you have no luck, try asking the National Archives for advice on whether there was a military base at Camrose and if so, how could you retrieve information about boxing , boxers etc.  Perhaps they had a base newspaperand, if so, the boxing matches would be an item that might be entered!

        Please let me know how it goes.

        Good Luck

        Rob Boynton

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2004
          The second time I tried to open this page, I had better luck and here is the AABA contact info.