More warnings on not using links in emails

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2004
      *** Avoiding Bank Email Scams
      Emails that direct you to a fake sites to steal your personal information
      are nothing new. Now the focus is going towards online banks (besides
      Paypal) like Chase, Citibank, and Bank of America. Most of the emails show
      up as "fraud alerts" and direct the user to a fake site to safeguard their
      account. The recent IE security hole that allows people to impersonate the
      URL of another site only serves to complicate the issue.

      To protect yourself, don't follow links from emails. Just type the URL of
      the site you're trying to access to be sure you're going to the correct
      domain. Hopefully the IE security hole will be fixed soon and this won't
      have to be done. Also, check the domain that the email is originating from.
      If it isn't the same as the bank they purport to be from, report it to the
      FCC and the bank's fraud department.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Vice Chair
      AFHS Webster
      Editor Chinook

      Family website
      http://www.rumbolt.com

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Freda
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 23, 2004
        Hi Gordon - just as a follow up to your message - was it at the computer
        SIG group a couple of weeks ago that someone mentioned the website
        wafl@... for us to forward the SPAM Nigerian letters? Well I
        sent three or four that I received after that, and on reviewing the internet
        version of the National Post on Tuesday morning this week, there was a bit
        item stating that the OPP had nailed a fellow in Toronto for a scam of this
        sort. It reminded me that those SPAM letters had not been on for a few days
        and I wonder if this was the culprit.
        Freda Stewart