Beatty v AG Canada et al

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 2004
      Mertie Beatty's Federal Court action to compel the release of the 1911
      census will be heard by the Federal Court here in Calgary on June 8,
      2004 at 9:30 AM. Technically, what the Court will be asked to decide is
      whether the Chief Statistician is required to release control over the
      1911 census returns to the National Archivist.

      Lois Sparling

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 8, 2004
        Dear lists,

        The hearing of our second Federal Court Application, Beatty v AG Canada
        et al was this morning in Calgary. Mertie Beaty and Rene Dussome were
        there to cheer me on. Patrick Bendin appeared as Counsel for the
        misguided ones. We presented argument for about 3 hours with a few
        questions from Mr. Justice Gibson. I would have preferred more
        questions and discussion with the judge since that would have given me
        some clues about what he was thinking and what he did and did not accept
        from my arguments. The decision was reserved. This means the judge
        will think about it all some more, perhaps do some research of his own
        and give us a written decision later.

        The late Bob Westbury was very much on our minds as we arrived at the
        Court. I have to correct Gordon Watts' suggestion that Bob was just
        playing devils advocate when he suggested civil disobedience. He meant
        every word of it. Access to our history was a matter of great
        importance to him. He was truly outraged with the attitude of the Chief
        Statistician and, more recently, with the deal the National Archivist
        apparently felt he had to make (Bill S-13). Fortunately, I forgot about
        everything except the argument to be presented once Court started.
        Thoughts about the loss of Bob and how much the census release campaign
        meant to him would not have helped my composure.

        Lois Sparling
        Calgary, Alberta