Firewall in XP

  • Donna Snyder
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003
      I just upgraded to XP. I understand it has it's own firewall. Is that good
      enough, or do I need an additional one?
      Donna Snyder

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Gordon Lane
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 30, 2003
        Hi Donna,

        I would recommend that you get a firewall from another company and not use
        the Microsoft one.

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Vice Chair - Facilities
        Editor Chinook

        Family website
        http://www.rumbolt.com

      • Bill Boogaart
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2003
          Disable the XP firewall after you get another product such as ZoneAlarm
          Pro. The XP firewall only monitors inbound traffic, not outbound. And, if
          you have a small network with another PC in your home/office you cannot
          share printers with the XP firewall activated. You would also be wise to
          invest in a hardware router which installs between your cable modem and
          your PC. The router provides you with a hardware firewall and makes your PC
          totally invisible to the outside world.