FW: CONFIRM MESSAGA

  • Marcel J. Savoie
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2003

      I believe I am sending this message to the owner of AFHS distgen distribution list.  I am forwarding to you a message I seem to have received thought AFHS.  I am forwarding it to you as I know this is a huge scam that has been around in different forms for many months, if not years.  I would hate to see any members of the Alberta Family Histories Society get entangled in the web.  It is possible the AFHS website has been invaded or a virus is sending this out through our web site.

      Sincerely
      Marcel Savoie
      marcel.j.savoie@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2003
        Message
        When Dist Gen was started there was a policy decision that it should remain open so anyone could post to it. It was felt that the general public would have access to the knowledge of members of the AFHS and be able to ask genealogical questions.  Dist Gen has grown and does now include people who are not members of AFHS.

        By not subscribing people do not receive answers via Dist Gen to their questions.

        The major disadvantage to this open policy is that the email address is mined and these sort of emails can come through. We can close the list and force people to become members of the list. Though we do not have a lot of non-member emails we do receive some and I believe that by making people join the closed list we loose something.

        Most lists that I am on have an open post policy and occaisionally get these type of emails. Unfortunately it is something we live with in todays modern society.  My wife and I get hundreds of scam and other assorted emails every week.

        Our site has not been invaded and there is no virus, our email has been mined and someone has used it for this scam.  We constantly try and improve on the security of email addresses.

        To stop the general mining of the email addresses we used a script to hide the address from the programs that mine email addresses. The next step is to put them in a secure database and only have them called dynamically - at the present time these robots cannot call such scripts.

        We can go to password protected scripts but I do not think we are at that point yet but may have to go that route in the future.

        As you say members should ignore these types of emails and many others.

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Vice Chair - Facilities
        Editor Chinook