Virtual memory in XP

  • Doug Hay
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2003
      Howdy,
      Santa Claus brought me SUSE Linux for Xmas. I am trying to create a dual
      boot. The SUSE software will shrink the partition for Windows (currently the
      whole 40 GB) but I have to temporarily deactivate the swap file for the
      virtual memory first. This is because the swap file is right near the end of
      the HD by default and I can't shrink the XP partition beyond that.
      I cannot find the swap file anywhere to deactivate it. Does anyone know
      where that might be set up in XP?
      By the way if anyone is interested in Linux, the SUSE version looks
      pretty easy. It is just a little more difficult to install on XP. ME and 98
      seem like a snap.

      Doug Hay
      Calgary, Alberta
      http://members.shaw.ca/doughay/hayglen.htm

      ______________
      Protected by MailSword. "Spam Ends Here"
      FREE download at: http://www.mensk.com/mailsword.htm

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Gordon Lane
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2003
        Hi Doug

        Start
        Control Panel
        System
        Advanced Tab
        Performance Settings
        Advanced Tab
        Virtual Memory
        Change Button

        Just don't understand why you couldn't find it :-)

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Vice Chair - Facilities
        Editor Chinook

        Family website
        http://www.rumbolt.com

      • Gord Hulbert
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2003
          Hi there:

          Have you got to the screen where you can tweak virtual memory?

          Rt click 'My Computer' -> Lt click 'Properties' -> Lt click "Advanced'. In
          'Performance' box, Lt click 'Settings, Lt click 'Advanced'. In 'Virtual
          Memory' box, Lt click 'Change', and GOOD LUCK!!