Genealogical Research Library

  • Alan Muise-Benner
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 16, 2003
      Has anyone any experience with the Genealogical Research Library, online
      at the following website address?
      (http://www.grl.com/)

    • Ian Holmes
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 17, 2003
        Hi Alan,

        I'm not sure if this helps. Some years ago I visited the premises of
        the Genealogical Research Library on Adelaide Street in Toronto and met
        the owner/proprietor Neil Elliot. He is the author/editor of a series
        of massive books "the Peoples of Ontario/Western Canada etc.". The same
        material has been distributed in CD format. I was disappointed when I
        asked him a question about data in Alberta and he referred me to a copy
        of the 1995 AGS/AFHS Cemetery fiche which had already been rendered
        somewhat obsolete by many more current publications from our two
        Societies. Apart from the aforementioned books and card indexes, which
        are compilations of many public sources, he has a fair collection of
        reference materials which seem to be similar to those in many family
        history and genealogical society libraries.

        As far as I was able to tell, this resource is supported by the fees
        generated from the sale of the books and contract research work. The
        library used to have brochures in many motels around the Toronto area.

        A quick look at the web site seems to reflect what I found at Noel's
        library.

        Ian Holmes

        Alan Muise-Benner wrote:

        > Has anyone any experience with the Genealogical Research Library, online
        > at the following website address?
        > (http://www.grl.com/)

      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2004
          This is a user pay system and as I have never used it I cannot recommend it one way or another. They publish index books that are available at the Downtown library

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Chairman
          Alberta Family Histories Society
          712-16th Ave NW,
          Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

          chairman@...
          www.afhs.ab.ca
          (403)214-1447

          Birth - Civil Records 50,000 birth records indexed for Ontario (1869-1873)
          Marriage - Church Records 250.000 marriages indexed for Quebec (1608-1810)
          Marriage- Civil Records 2 million marriage records indexed 1869-1910 for Ontario
          Death - Civil Records 50,000 death records indexed 1920 for Ontario
          Other - Baptismal Records 350,000 baptisms indexed 1608-1810 for Quebec
          Other - Directories 250,000 records indexed in all provinces including Alaska & Nfld (1851-1915)
          Other - Land-Related Records 150,000 land records (property maps) indexed for Ontario; 50,000 land records for Quebec
          The geographic range of the project is (be as detailed as possible):
          Community: most communities in Canada, plus 100 year old maps online
          Province: every province and territory in Canada
          The Status of the Project is (choose one): Completed and Available at this web address: www.grl.com
          Who is the sponsor for this project (please answer all)?
          Name of Contact Person Noel Elliot (Director of Research)
          Name of organization/company (if applicable) The Genealogical Research Library
          Website homepage of organization is www.grl.com
          Other comments about this project? Includes all of the information formerly contained in the following reference books, plus 2 million new records: The Atlantic Canadians 1600-1900 (3 volumes), The Western Canadians 1600-1900 (3 volumes), The French Canadians 1600-1900 (3 volumes), The Central Canadians 1600-1900 (3 volumes).

          Noel Elliot, Director of Research
          The Genealogical Research Library
          direct line: 905-454-2652
          cell: 416 846 2652