DNA testing

  • Jo_an Utson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2003
      I found this posting on another list I belong to:

      Clan Links Save a Life

      Genetic research has shown that people with the same clan name are much
      more closely related than was previously thought. That was brought home
      this year when 20-year-old Millie Forbes, from Aberdeenshire, was struck
      down by a return of acute myeloid leukemia. She needed a transplant of
      matching bone marrow to save her life, but no matches were found amongst
      donors in the UK. But her grandfather is Chief of the Clan Forbes and
      the US clan members were asked for assistance. An anonymous donor was
      found and she is expected to have the operation shortly. Other research
      into the clan MacDonald has found that an unexpectedly high percentage
      of 20% are directly descended from Somerled, the 12th century warrior
      who founded the clan.

    • Donna Snyder
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010

        Hi List – I think my question was on the list some time ago, but not in my realm of interest at the time so my e-mail is gone.

        I’m considering having my grandson’s DNA tested for genealogy purposes. If you’ve had experience with this would you please tell me:

        1. which companies are most reliable/ worth the effort and cost – what is the cost?

        2. can you get both maternal and paternal with one submission?

        3. what type of documentation do you get?

        4. how do you use it to connect with others?

        I am probably asking a for a lot of info, but I know from previous posts to the List I always get excellent answers.

        Thanks so much for your time,

        Donna Snyder

      • Suddie Mumford
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 8, 2010
          On 07/07/2010 09:36 PM, Donna Snyder wrote:

          I’m considering having my grandson’s DNA tested for genealogy purposes. If you’ve had experience with this would you please tell me:

          1. which companies are most reliable/ worth the effort and cost – what is the cost?

          Based on my personal experience and having followed the development of DNA testing for geealogical purposes since 1964 I can recommend only one company Family Tree DNA  www.familytreedna.com

          Costs vary with the tests.  Basic male YDNA 37 marker test is $169.  Many other tests are available including the newest one, family finder which uses both Y dna and autosomal markers to identify other family members at $289

          2. can you get both maternal and paternal with one submission?

          Yes.

          3. what type of documentation do you get?

          I would suggest going to the ftdna website and clicking on the site map.  This will provide answers to more questions than you can possibly think of.

          4. how do you use it to connect with others?

          They maintain  public databases you can use to compare data but they will inform you of any matches in their databases of FTDNA customers.

          FTDNA provides not only tests but research group setup by surnames, haplogroup types, and specific areas of the world.

          This company is owned by genealogists who are actively involved with genetic research for genealogical purposes unlike some other organizations whose genetic tests are simply another means to expand their sources of income.
          If you follow the Roots Web DNA discussions you will find FTDNA prominently mentioned.

          If you decide to use their services I would strongly suggest you join a surname group and order your tests through that group.  There could be a discount should you do so.
          --
          Cheers

          Suddie Bill

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 8, 2010

            Hi Donna,

            I respect the work of www.familytreedna.com

            I have not tested my family, but I am familiar with the testing for the Acadian Mothers Project and they work with the best genealogists in that field to do the genealogical tree. This is to be sure the testing of the living people who claim to descend through the matrilineal lines is aligned with the documented evidence.  I wrote about this project in a past issue of Chinook.

            There was a booth at the National Genealogical Association and I met some of the people from the organization, who were happy to receive a copy of Chinook that contained a write-up of the Acadian Mothers Project.

            Xenia

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 11, 2010
              My parents are coming next month for a visit, so I've decided to get them to swab their cheeks for a DNA sample while they are here. A previous discussion on Dist-gen recommended Family Tree DNA as being a reliable company. I would like to know how many markers I should pay to have tested. Any opinions?

              Also, is there any point in doing my cheek swab if both of them do it?

              Marion
            • Joan Miller
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 11, 2010
                Hi Marion,
                We used Family Tree DNA for my brother's YDNA testing. I recommend ordering 67 markers. We started with 37 then upgraded to 67 in order to catch more fish so to speak.  Got a great match.

                Are you going for the new autosomal test (FTDNA's Family Finder?).  It will find cousins and not the just the direct lines.
                There is a special on right now at FTDNA. I'm about to order the mtDNA +Family Finder for myself so was checking last night.

                I suggest getting your parents tested first then deciding later whether you want to get your own testing done.

                Here is more info on the Family Finder test. (upper left of the page)

                Joan

                On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Marion Peterson <mlpeterson@...> wrote:
                My parents are coming next month for a visit, so I've decided to get them to swab their cheeks for a DNA sample while they are here. A previous discussion on Dist-gen recommended Family Tree DNA as being a reliable company. I would like to know how many markers I should pay to have tested. Any opinions?

                Also, is there any point in doing my cheek swab if both of them do it?

                Marion

                --
                Joan Miller
                Luxegen Genealogy