English 1901 Census Online

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2003
      Hello:

      John Hanson, an English genealogist, has recently done some research
      into corrections made to the online index from submissions made by the
      public. He has found the following occurrences, which may be of interest
      to our listers:

      12,016 Surname changes
      1,774 Where born
      873 Occupation
      716 First name
      327 Other names
      300 Wrong Age
      77 Relationship to head
      24 Wrong Address
      17 Wrong sex
      17 Married status
      7 Employment status
      1 Infirmity
      1 Second name

      He urges people to report errors that they find in the index and says it
      is worth making the effort to get them changed. He continues, "After all
      it may help some distant cousin make the connection in the end."

      I have delayed notifying the PRO about errors I have found in my
      families but now I have decided to go ahead and submit them. Hopefully,
      any lister who finds an error in one of his/her families will do the
      same. Remember, you have to look at the original image from the census
      to make sure that the error occurred in the transcription rather than by
      the original enumerator back in 1901.

      To report an error, click on "Contact Us" in the left column of the
      opening page of the census. Next, click on "Census Data Amendments" and
      you will find the appropriate form that you need to complete.

      Good luck.

      Rene Dussome