LDS resources at Allen Co. Public Library

  • Eileen McElroy
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi all:

      I was recently made aware that the Allen Co. Public Library has access on
      their site to the 1881 British & Canadian Census indexes (indices?), the
      1880 US Census index, the British Vital Records Index and the Pedigree
      Resource Files.

      http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/
      Click on E-Resources

      You must download a free plug-in to make this work.

      Does anyone know how long this service has been available?

      Regards,
      Eileen

    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 20, 2002
        Eileen McElroy wrote:

        > Hi all:
        >
        > I was recently made aware that the Allen Co. Public Library has access on
        > their site to the 1881 British & Canadian Census indexes (indices?), the
        > 1880 US Census index, the British Vital Records Index and the Pedigree
        > Resource Files.
        >
        > http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/
        > Click on E-Resources
        >
        > You must download a free plug-in to make this work.

        Cool. It's quite a fuss to find the plug-in download button, install
        it, and it works slowly - but it's like having the LDS CDs at one's own
        desk.

        To make it a bit easier on you'all:

        Go to: http://www.citrix.com/download/ica_clients.asp

        and select the operating system that you have.

        > Does anyone know how long this service has been available?

        First I've seen of this. Obviously the sign of more things to come...

        --
        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster

        and

        afhs@...

        Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
        http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

        FamilyRoots 2002
      • Carol Lylyk
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2002
          Fantastic!! But what am I going to do with the CDs for the Canadian 1881 Census I bought? :-(

          Carol Lylyk
          Calgary
          > > I was recently made aware that the Allen Co. Public Library has access on
          > > their site to the 1881 British & Canadian Census indexes (indices?), the
          > > 1880 US Census index, the British Vital Records Index and the Pedigree
          > > Resource Files.
          > >
          > > http://www.acpl.lib.in.us/
          > > Click on E-Resources
          > >
          > > You must download a free plug-in to make this work.
          >
          > Cool. It's quite a fuss to find the plug-in download button, install
          > it, and it works slowly - but it's like having the LDS CDs at one's own
          > desk.

          ---
        • Carol Lylyk
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 21, 2002
            Hello Jim,
            On the screen where it asks for your Id can Library card there is also a spot to click as guest.
            Click on that and you are in. I was just looking at it now but it is really slow today. You will
            get a black screen and it will sit there for over a minute before you get to where you chose which
            census you want. I have also been timed out several times. Probably late night or during the week
            day might be faster. It really is fantastic.
            Carol Lylyk

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 21, 2002
              Hi Judith:

              Do I notify you to unsubscribe from distgen? I will be gone for six
              weeks.

              Brian Martin
            • cjkriver
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 27, 2002
                I have tried this site, and downloaded the plug-in for the Mac. All I get when clicking on the
                census site is a document on my desktop, no access to the data base itself. Any ideas?
                Carolyn