December Meeting

  • Adrienne Horne
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2003
      The next meeting for the AFHS is on Dec 1, 2003 at the former Southminster United Church, 3818 14a ST SW.

      BASICS SESSION:  6:30pm
      Topic: Basic Scottish Research
      Helen Backhouse is well known to AFHS members, since she joined the Society in the 1980s and has been an active volunteer for many years.  She is our indispensable AFHS librarian and has been involved in moving the library to new premises three times – an arduous task performed cheerfully.

      Helen’s Scottish connection is on the maternal side:  her grandfather was

      born on board ship as his family was emigrating from Aberdeen to Ontario.  The family name, DIACK, is reported to have come from two brothers who turned up in Aberdeenshire in the 1700's.  Helen is familiar with the most common records for pursuing Scottish ancestry, and tonight she will talk about the main sources and the AFHS library holdings used in “Basic Scottish Research”.

      MAIN MEETING: 7:15pm
      Topic: Family Treasures Night
      Have you wondered about how to protect those diaries of your Grandmothers or what to do with the pictures Aunt Bessie gave you?  Perhaps you have other precious artifacts that members of the family have inherited and which are now in your possession.

      Tonight’s speaker is Heather Dumka from Glenbow Museum.  Heather is the Objects Conservator at the museum and she has the answers to how to protect many of those problem items.
    • Gordon Lane
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2004
        Hi everyone,

        For the last couple of years someone has arranged for a box from the Calgary Food bank so we could collect food at our December meeting. I haven't heard from anyone about this year and was wondering if it was going to happen again

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Chairman
        Alberta Family Histories Society
        712-16th Ave NW,
        Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

        chairman@...
        www.afhs.ab.ca
        (403)214-1447

      • fredastewart
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
          Hi Gordon - I think the food bank thing would be a great idea. If someone carries it to the trunk of my car I can look after donations, as we are not too far away from the place.
          Could you clarify 'Christmas goodies' in your other e-mail. Are you asking about cookies etc for a get-together following the meeting? That is also the subject of the meeting which I have to chair and I understood Christmas Goodies in that context to mean some of the gadgetry we would like to have as gifts for Christmas.
          Freda

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
            Hi everyone,

            must be my accent :-)

            Christmas goodies to me means cookies and cakes etc.

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2004
              Dear Freda et al,

              The tradition is for each person to bring a couple of things like canned goods for the Food Bank and a plate of no more than 6 cookies, squares or other sweet calory-free goodies.  The goodies get set out in the kitchen and we form a line to go through to pick up some samples (of the goodies, not the canned goods).

              Lois Sparling