[Fwd: Post 1901 Census - Bill S-13 is dead.]

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2003

      -------- Original Message --------
      Subject:Post 1901 Census - Bill S-13 is dead.
      Date:Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:18:10 -0800
      From:"Gordon A. Watts" <gordon_watts@...>
      Organization:Canada Census Committee
      To:Canada Census Campaign <CANADA-CENSUS-CAMPAIGN-L@...>

      Greetings All.

      It is official.  Bill S-13 is dead.

      This afternoon Prime Minister Jean Chetien announced that Parliament has
      been prorogued.  This means that all unfinished business before
      Parliament dies on the Order Paper.  The next session of Parliament is
      scheduled to start 12 January 2004.

      Hopefully this will allow us the time necessary to see our legal action
      scheduled for a hearing before the Federal Court and to receive a
      favourable verdict for the release of the 1911 Census.  With a change of
      Prime Minister, and new Cabinet Members, perhaps we may get some that
      will listen to us instead of listening to the dictates of the Chief
      Statistician.

      Take a breather, and get ready to start writing letters once again.

      Happy Hunting.

      Gordon A. Watts gordon_watts@...
      Co-Chair, Canada Census Committee
      Port Coquitlam, BC