Laser Printer Problem

  • Bob Crowle
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
      I have a Brother HL-1230 Laser printer. Lately my printed material has a
      very dirty appearance to it. The background is just terrible. However the
      actual printed characters are very black in color, not faded at all.

      Firstly the Brother Service Center suggested I clean the corona wire which I
      did with no appreciable improvement in my printed output. Now they are
      saying since I have put through the normal number of printed pages for this
      cartridge, I should change it out. I don't doubt I need a new cartridge.

      Does anyone know how replacing a toner cartridge can clean up the
      background? Maybe I should get my printer cleaned before I get the new
      cartridge. Comments.

      Bob Crowle crowleb@...

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
        If you mean the paper looks dirty, try a cleaner sheet. "Removes toner, dirt
        and dust from the paper path to improve print quality."
        www.fellowes.com/
        I've still got a few sheets in a package opened Aug 1996. Switched to full
        time color ink jet printers in 1997.

        Seems to me that turning pages to print on the back was a problem along with
        heat that curled the pages. No experience with recent laser printers. --
        Elizabeth

        > I have a Brother HL-1230 Laser printer. Lately my printed material has a
        > very dirty appearance to it. The background is just terrible. However
        the
        > actual printed characters are very black in color, not faded at all.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Bill Mumford
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
          > I have a Brother HL-1230 Laser printer. Lately my printed material has a
          > very dirty appearance to it. The background is just terrible. However
          the
          > actual printed characters are very black in color, not faded at all.

          > Does anyone know how replacing a toner cartridge can clean up the
          > background? Maybe I should get my printer cleaned before I get the new
          > cartridge. Comments.

          I believe the Brother has a separate drum. These usually need replacing
          about every fourth or fifth toner cartridge. Some printers (HP, Samsung)
          combine the drum with the toner which supposedly keeps the background clean
          but it raises the toner cartridge price considerably. I'd suggest you ask
          Brother about the drum.

          Bill