Polish Name?

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
      Can anyone identify the area the following name came from.

      Krajcky - changed to Rickey on immigration to Canada. My friend Ken
      believes that they originate from Poland but not sure.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Vice Chair - Facilities
      Editor Chinook

      Family website
      http://www.rumbolt.com

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Ursula Krol
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 31, 2003
        Hi Gordon,
        This name can be Polish or Ukrainian. It was change from Krajcki or cut
        short from longer name e.g. Krajowiecki ( krayoviecki). "Kraj" in Polish
        mean land.
        In Polish the pronunciations of the letter "j" is like long "e" and "w" is
        like "v". If the name had this letters the name is pronounce totally
        different in English. Sometimes it is like different name.
        I know some Polish people that make the name shorter, because of the long
        spelling.
        Ursula Krol
        Digital Photo
        238-1234